Good nightclubs in Phnom Penh to recommend?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Good nightclubs in Phnom Penh to recommend?

Post by Joon »

I'm putting this question out there because sometimes I feel like dragging the husband for a night out. Back in our non-committed days, we went to The Rock (just once, because it sucked big brass bawls) and usually to (now-defunct?) Spark. But now I have no idea where I can drag him to. I thought of Pontoon but I don't know if it's a place where I and husband would feel at ease.

However, by "good," I mean some place where the likelihood of getting in a fight is low or nil, the clubbers aren't (too) smelly, the guys keep their hands to themselves (to avoid #1 with the husband), the dance floor is a balanced mix of locals and foreigners, the DJ is good at what he's doing by Western standards, and the drinks consumption policy is not a rip-off.

Your own pros and cons for the places you recommend for a mid-30s Cambodian married couple would be greatly appreciated too.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Good nightclubs in Phnom Penh to recommend?

Post by nightmare.believer »

Well...I was going to say Martini until I read the first sentence. But go ahead and take him there anyways. The disco's nice.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:I'm putting this question out there because sometimes I feel like dragging the husband for a night out.
I had a dog with no legs, named it Cigarette. I took it out for a drag every night.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I like St Tropez the most. Havent been their in a few months though. Darlin ris good but its usually packed....Same music over and over. Nova is cool but dont look at other people unless you are looking for a cap in Yoo aZZZ. Pantoon is just sheer debauchery which is great when your in the mood to get sloppy. Blvd I hate but my friend has a rabid fetish for it. Still havent been to Lavo. There is a Lavo in N.Y same owners and that one is amazing. 2 face is a new one thats also worth trying.

Currently Im just looking for someplace quite like a lounge or something....now any good places like that? Maybe a couch or 2?
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Hmmm... I'd recommend River House, though the Barang/Khmer equation is not equal you do see some Barangs in there from time to time.

Basically as far as I know there is Pontoon, Heart of Darkness, Manhattan (which is full of Bong Thoms high on drugs) and the rest of the Khmer Clubs.

I'm not sure what is on offer in the Wat Langka area, but there might be something in that area closer to what you're looking for.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Nova has been popular for a while now. I've only been to clubs like 2-3 times in the past hear though so I'm hardly an expert, but it's usually busy.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

FreeSocrates! wrote: Basically as far as I know there is Pontoon, Heart of Darkness, Manhattan (which is full of Bong Thoms high on drugs) and the rest of the Khmer Clubs.
Wow is Manhattan still going - used to go regularly with the wife around 15 years ago. Back then it was JW Black and techno although I think there was quite a bit of E around at the time.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ I went in there one night alone when I was bored.

It was kinda random, I asked a motodop to take me somewhere, anywhere that I wouldn't know about normally.

The place seemed like it was full of gangsters all high on something. (Maybe E?)

No one paid any attention to me.

A bottle of Henniken was $6.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

FreeSocrates! wrote:^ I went in there one night alone when I was bored.

It was kinda random, I asked a motodop to take me somewhere, anywhere that I wouldn't know about normally.

The place seemed like it was full of gangsters all high on something. (Maybe E?)

No one paid any attention to me.

A bottle of Henniken was $6.
Whats the girl to guy ratio? and how was the music?
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
JohnnyPoster
Expatriate

Post by JohnnyPoster »

I don't know that I would call any nightclub here good, but for what you are seeking I think Nova may be your best bet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic