Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Sailorman »

Having traveled to/in Thailand for decades I love to see the Thai government once again shooting themselves in the foot.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Sailorman wrote:Having traveled to/in Thailand for decades I love to see the Thai government once again shooting themselves in the foot.
:please:
disagree, get rid of the dead weight
visa exempt runners .

why does Thailand get such bad press about its visa regulation? its been so easy for so long.

ask a Thai ( or Cambodian) how easy it is to go stay in the states, the UK, Australia an work without a visa or even to visit.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Because it being easy is WHY a lot of people go there (and here). So making it harder is for sure going to get bad press... and could have some pretty negative impacts. Decrease in long term tourists (they have a pretty decent value in tourist areas because they buy a different class of "stuff" for longer stay planning), decrease in cheap English teachers (so overall an increase in the cost of learning English which will result in less English speaking people), etc.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there will be a short term decrease in long term visitors. but after awhile that will go away and those that want to stay long term will get the correct visa

It will not affect 99% of the other 24 million that visited Thailand last year

AS to long term TOURISTS is it very easy for anyone to get a double and often triple entry TOURIST visa in their own country and no TOURIST needs more than 9 months to be a TOURIST in any other country but his own

Those teaching will get the correct visas/wp as the school's will now need to supply the correct paper work for the teachers
OR once ASEAN goes into effect , Philippinoes will fill the gap left by the departing Farang english teachers that can not get the correct visa/wp

You have a real hard time looking at the big picture don't ya
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote:there will be a short term decrease in long term visitors. but after awhile that will go away and those that want to stay long term will get the correct visa

It will not affect 99% of the other 24 million that visited Thailand last year

AS to long term TOURISTS is it very easy for anyone to get a double and often triple entry TOURIST visa in their own country and no TOURIST needs more than 9 months to be a TOURIST in any other country but his own

Those teaching will get the correct visas/wp as the school's will now need to supply the correct paper work for the teachers
OR once ASEAN goes into effect , Philippinoes will fill the gap left by the departing Farang english teachers that can not get the correct visa/wp

You have a real hard time looking at the big picture don't ya
Are you kidding? No one needs to be a tourist for more than 9 months? Why not? If I have the time, money and inclination... why wouldn't i "need" to be a tourist for a couple of years in a place i enjoy. I may not be "allowed" by that country, and that's their prerogative, but saying no one "needs" to is silly. I need to be a tourist for as long as I feel the need to be a tourist, that's my prerogative... and in doing so will probably spend a bunch of money in the process.

As for the teachers, you missed the word cheap in my statement I guess. The cheap-o backpackers teaching for peanuts to drag out their stay longer. Are they great teachers? Not at all. But they're still better than no teachers for people who can't afford anything better.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Richard is an iconoclast.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I don't think that word means what you think it means...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote:Richard is an iconoclast.
???

: a person who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration
: a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions
— icon·o·clas·tic adjective
— icon·o·clas·ti·cal·ly adverb
See iconoclast defined for English-language learners »
Examples of ICONOCLAST

<notorious as an iconoclast, that music critic isn't afraid to go after sacred cows>
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

ok richard... show us on the doll what you did to the cow...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am taking it easy on him due to his advanced age
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic