Owning a Supersport Bike in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Owning a Supersport Bike in Cambodia

Post by AE86 »

In the past I never wrote a review on any of the supersport bikes I rode since I figured virtually no one of EDITED: THIS FORUM! :D audience would ever find themselves on one, but not much else to do now.

So some background, I’m much more of a “classic” bike enthusiast (think E140 Bonnies or the original CB750), and sport/street bikes are most definitely NOT my thing, especially in Cambodia. Even outside of Cambodia I’ve only made use of a handful of street bikes (GSXR 1300R , CBR 1000RR, and a ZX-3, ZX-6, GSXR 600, etc.), and I’ve never tracked anything before, so I’m the wrong kind of enthusiast to appreciate these kind of bikes.

But I wont let that stop me from sharing what the last week has been like using this beast.

So first the bike. A 2007 Yamaha YZF R6, 600cc & 131 horsepower. I would go through the spec sheet, but seriously there’s no need.

There’s not a single place in Cambodia minus the airstrip at Pochentong where you’ll get anywhere near maxing the potential out of this thing. If you have to know though, it’s an 11 second 1/4 mile bike out of the box.

Me personally, I don’t think I even got halfway to redline even once.

***What’s it like to ride in Cambodia? Miserable.***

It’s pretty damn miserable for me since I can’t flat foot this bike because I’m short (5’7”), but even if I could set my feet down I would still say it’s not really a nice bike to ride anywhere here. It’s heavy for stop and go traffic manuevering, annoying to constantly clutch the rev happy engine, and forget making a U-turn as the turning circle is...a tad wide.

Wearing shorts for anything other than to make a quick run to the shops and your legs will eventually roast from the heat coming off of the cooling fan. Even with a decent set of trousers on it’s still very hot. Then couple that to the heat coming off of 4 wheeled vehicles around you at stoplights, let’s say this bike has what it takes to give you heat stroke in a hurry.

Taking it on an open road really isn’t much fun either as this bike is obviously no tourer. Worst being the constant “waves” in the asphalt which spoil the ride a lot more vs. a touring bike.

So unless you like sport bikes and want to wrench on something “special” in your free time…just forget it. I love motorcycles (although not street bikes I’ll admit), but I really hate using this thing here. Hard suspension, fiddly clutch in stop and go traffic, expensive and intense maintenance, target for theft…It’s just not worth it to me.

Fuel consumption came to 28 mpg US, (11.9 km/l, 8.4L/100 km) for the only tank it was been run through, which meant the “reserve” light came on for the 17 litre tank around 90 miles indicated (145 km). $12 to fill it up.

Rain wasn't too bad though. Plenty of rubber to grip the road and at no point did I feel I was in trouble for traction in the city. Not like I would be though.

***So, what’s in like for attention? Lots of attention, but not what I was expecting.***

Lots of looks at stop lights but most interestingly of all, a lot of really nice Khmer “kids” in their 20’s who know a thing or two about bikes wanting to chat about it. I made conversation with several Khmer my age (in English) who were happy to talk about bikes and such and shared a coffee with them for 10 minutes after getting fuel. Was a nice throwback to when I was a part of a motorcycle club when I was younger.

If you go eat out at a restaurant however, it doesn’t really attract attention at all unless you’re eating at a 2500 riel coffee shop. Everywhere else people seem used to seeing big bikes enough to where I’d feel safe enough leaving it on a crowded street, so long as it has a high quality disc lock and immobiliser on it.

I never took it out passed 8PM however, so no comment on the safety late at night.

***Anything else interesting? It’s surprisingly easy to keep up to service, so long as you know what needs to be done.***

For me this was the first time I couldn’t be arsed to do my own oil change, so a $5 tip was in order to the Viet/Khmer kid who went through the hassle of removing the farings, taking his time and not ruining any of the plastic snaps.

Parts of course are not in stock locally, but no big deal since it’s not like chains suddenly fracture or light bulbs stop the engine working, so a quick stop at a local big bike shop and anything common for the bike was readily available to order. I can’t comment on shops being able to work on it, but at least now it seems parts can be had for slightly obscure bikes like these.

***Summary. Not in the least bit interested in keeping it, no way.***

Truth be told, I was a little surprised how much it sucked to ride this thing. A big part of it was my inability to flat foot it, coupled to a very rev happy difficult to clutch engine plus Cambodian traffic, but the ZX-3 I’m coming off of was not nearly as bad as this was.

So unsurprisingly, it’s not a great bike to enjoy in Cambodia but I don’t think it takes a genius to know that.
Last edited by AE86 on Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Owning a Supersport Bike in Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 pmIn the past I never wrote a review on any of the supersport bikes I rode since I figured virtually none of the K440 audience would ever find themselves on one, but not much else to do now.
Crosspost?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Erm...no? :D
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 pmErm...no? :D
:D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, parts availability is pretty good for common big bikes like that r6. I can think of a half dozen places that would have a chain in stock.

Personally, I'm too tall for trying to use a sportsbike around town - I have a naked superbike with a more ujm stance which makes more power, way more torque and is as comfy as a lawnchair that I prefer in every way to my little viva, except for the running costs.
Mrwhippy
Expatriate

Post by Mrwhippy »

It is the same as owning a sports car, they look nice and we are used to them in Europe or the west but you look a bit of a tit using one here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have made a life out of looking like a bit of a tit. Can't change now.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I recommend looking like an idiot sometimes. Makes life interesting. :)
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic