Secret Restaurant

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Secret Restaurant

Post by Sailorman »

Sihanoukville:

My neighbors in the 20 house complex where we live, after some extensive construction have built a small restaurant onto their house. (Roger is Canadian, Sal is Canadian/Singapore.) Its a cozy and comfortable little place that's kind of hard to find, but I don't believe they are depending on it for a livelihood, its more like a hobby.

The restaurant and kitchen are ultra-clean, has lots of fans (no flys) ,has comfortable chairs/sofas, the food is presented nicely and the owners are really friendly. Its less of a restaurant experience, more like being invited to your friends house for breakfast/lunch. You get a small view of the water from the restaurant looking down the road to Hawaii beach and are surrounded by lots of plants. (They play some really good background music also.) If you want a dip before/after eating, Hawaii beach is 2 minutes walk away.

I've had the burger/fries and the wonton soup, both were great. My favorite was the Wonton soup with veg and almost more than I could eat. I also got a fresh squeezed pineapple juice drink (not from a can.) I've not had the breakfast, but a friend had it and said it was the best he had ever had. (BTW/ In my misspent youth, I was a chef and ran kitchens in major restaurants, ships and yachts.)

To find this Secret Restaurant (That's not its name, but what I call it.) Go past the entrance to the Independence hotel going north. There will be a curve to the right. If you take a left you go about 100 meters to Hawaii Beach, but you take a right and go through the archway that's says Lamerkey Motel. Its the first house on the right going up the small hill and has a silver Landcruiser in the drive. (If your on the main road, didn't turn and have the white shop-houses of the marina on your left, you went to far.)

Hard to find, but you'll be glad you found this little gem. I live just a few doors down and am lucky. When I get lazy, I have a great little place to eat just meters away that I know is clean, friendly, and cozy. (Happy, happy me.)

The stated hours of operation are 10am to 5pm, but its just opened so that could change. Sal is also a Yoga master and holds class's at different parts of Snooky and at her restaurant. (Ask her about when she used to sing and play drums in a band.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Secret Restaurant

Post by Anchor Moy »

I see where you mean - it's also a sort of secret housing complex? I always wondered what it was. Long-stay or short-stay houses? I like the location. What's it like to live there?
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I didn't know it existed until just over a year ago when a friend (now also living here) heard about it from a Cambodian he plays poker with. The part I live in is a little slice of paradise. I squint my eyes and I'm in suburbia America (without the cops.) Someone almost has to die to get a place here. I haven't seen anyplace like it in Cambodia. The landlord (who's kind of a jerk),is building some more in the back, but they are closer together and not as nice (he got greedy), but they are rented the second he finishs them. Its also only 5 min walk to Hawaii beach. BTW/ Long stay. (he does have a small row of short-time rooms with garages he rents or lets rich friends use with their mistress's.)
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I'm quite familiar with 'Secret Bar' in PP. They too offer 3 courses. In fact it's their specialty. I'll have to try your recommendation. I live in Snook.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic