AirBlade with no Plates

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: AirBlade with no Plates

Post by kyleincambo »

AE86 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm
kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm
AE86 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm
However, I do recommend that you stop making character judgments on people as you seem like way too nice and naive of a guy to be doing "business". Cambodia is absolutely the wrong place for nice and trusting people and you'll get eaten alive very soon.

Thanks for your concern, but I disagree. Are you suggesting Cambodia needs more scumbags doing business. I wholeheartedly believe when you do business with high integrity and with others as your focus instead of the capitol, success depends on the hard work put in to it. Maybe I am naive, but maybe not. After 14 years of drug and alcohol abuse, 3 rehab stints, and now 6 years of sobriety I like to think I have an idea how the world works to some extent.

You are right though, I have no right to judge others. That was a mistake.

Thanks though, you have given me more motivation.

By the way do you want to buy a 2015 Honda Airblade for $700?
Just to be clear, I'm not saying things in an attacking way (if you construed it that way), I'm just trying to give you caution when dealing with people and assuming that things will "be okay" if you hold to some ideals. I'm not saying you don't have a right to judge people, I believe you have every right to judge anyone for your own safety. That's why I was making that suggestion, because you're afraid of putting people into the predicament you're in, yet you're saying the guy who put you into that same situation is an alright guy. Maybe he meant to, maybe not, but you got the short end of the stick here, or at the very least was taken care of poorly by someone who was either devious or ill informed.

I've been in business for 12 years (yes, I did start when I was 19), 7 of which were in Cambodia and I'm here to tell you that as of now, you have to be ruthless and somewhat amoral to simply survive here. It's not about attracting the right customers, it's more about fighting off the sharks who don't hold to you standards. Kind of like agreeing to a sword fight and the enemy brings a gun, it happens all the time here, so there's a lot of 4d chess that has to be played to make it. Western business people almost never succeed in Asia because they hold too much to ideology rather than focusing on results, and the Asians know that and use it to topple them over like a jenga tower.

I know you've conquered a few things (and not belittling you) it's a genuine accomplishment and I applaud you for that. I lost my uncle to alcohol addiction a few years ago and my brother is struggling with meth, so believe me when I say I understand. I believe you're a decent person too, but be careful. There's enough dangerous Cambodians in this country to make it extremely hazardous for ideologs to make it without getting completely walked over.

kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm By the way do you want to buy a 2015 Honda Airblade for $700?
Thanks but no thanks. Just added another bike to my already retarded collection :)
Actually I thought you were referring to one of my first posts I made on the forum, and I didn't see it as an attack. You have been very helpful, more so than anyone thus far). I get what you are talking about now. And i was mostly joking about selling you the bike.

I am completely aware of the pitfalls of doing business in Asia. My ideology relies on high integrity. For example I will never ask for a bribe, however I will pay a bribe if its for the benefit of the business and the consumer.
I will disagree with you again though. I see a big difference in being ruthless and being amoral. I find pleasure actually in the ruthless nature of doing business. Which is why I am not actually mad at this guy for selling me the bike without telling me the whole story. I should have done my due diligence before forking over the $800. Which is also why I wont feel bad selling it for $700 either. When it comes to bikes and legality I have certainly learned my lesson this time and will take it in stride.

Anyways, thanks for the input, I genuinely appreciate it.

Are you in SV? What kind of business do you operate?
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

kyleincambo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm
Actually I thought you were referring to one of my first posts I made on the forum, and I didn't see it as an attack. You have been very helpful, more so than anyone thus far). I get what you are talking about now. And i was mostly joking about selling you the bike.

I am completely aware of the pitfalls of doing business in Asia. My ideology relies on high integrity. For example I will never ask for a bribe, however I will pay a bribe if its for the benefit of the business and the consumer.
I will disagree with you again though. I see a big difference in being ruthless and being amoral. I find pleasure actually in the ruthless nature of doing business. Which is why I am not actually mad at this guy for selling me the bike without telling me the whole story. I should have done my due diligence before forking over the $800. Which is also why I wont feel bad selling it for $700 either. When it comes to bikes and legality I have certainly learned my lesson this time and will take it in stride.

Anyways, thanks for the input, I genuinely appreciate it.

Are you in SV? What kind of business do you operate?
I still see you as holding true to the "gentleman's way" of dealing with fellow men, meaning that everyone agrees to the same standards and may the best man win, the loser taking a bow out. I like this way of competition much more, and it's a big reason I have a great respect for Western values. Asia is a completely different story though, not just SE Asian countries like Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc, I mean countries like Japan, China and Korea too, yes I am implicating myself. Asians know what the rules are, but as soon as we can get away with something, you better believe that route is taken. Very few successful Asian business people are not cunning little weasels.

It's hard to comprehend that most people you'll deal with will be sore losers, but it's the truth. Provide a superior product with superior customer service and next thing you know you're being charged with narcotics dealing after the police plant drugs in your business. The only reason I and my entire family are not in prison is because of we had already anticipated things like this and had our ways to fight back.

As for me, I personally do my best to be as honest and forthcoming as I possibly can because I believe it is the best way to live, and that's the kind of person I want to know in a society I live in, but even then people use that to your disadvantage to tear you down, so it's really a dog eat dog world out there.

Anyway, as always, be careful out there. Take it from an Asian who understands "gentlemen" like yourself, it's a dangerous world out here for people like you and I.

AE86

-P.S. 3 businesses, 2 in Phnom Penh one in Vietnam, one a metal works facility (machine shop capability), one an import export company, and one a health food store.
-insert signature here
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think you're right. They don't usually remove the plate on a stolen bike.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

yeah
no issue
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I wouldn't worry too much. Your mate's mates will steal it back off you soon enough anyway.

But seriously, who writes receipts for stolen bikes?
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

wrong thread!

:facepalm:
Last edited by SinnSisamouth on Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

epidemiks wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm I wouldn't worry too much. Your mate's mates will steal it back off you soon enough anyway.

Its not a stolen bike. It was most likely bought from a dealer who brought it in from Thailand and did not pay the tax.

The question I have now is how much does it cost to pay the tax now. 2015 Honda Airblade
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

kyleincambo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am
epidemiks wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm I wouldn't worry too much. Your mate's mates will steal it back off you soon enough anyway.

Its not a stolen bike. It was most likely bought from a dealer who brought it in from Thailand and did not pay the tax.

The question I have now is how much does it cost to pay the tax now. 2015 Honda Airblade

That was sarcasm, obviously.

I might be wrong, but I believe you'll need some sort of import document in order to pay import tax.

A bike I bought in 2011 had papers indicating the place of import and an import tax receipt.

I'd talk with your friend and check whether any other documents exist.

There's threads about on import tax rates, but as AE said:
AE86 wrote:my family just did a 17' Air Blade which was $520?
So you're looking at around 400. 2015 airblades seem to go around $1400 on the classified websites, so still could be a cheap bike once legal.
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

epidemiks wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am
kyleincambo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am

That was sarcasm, obviously.

I might be wrong, but I believe you'll need some sort of import document in order to pay import tax.

A bike I bought in 2011 had papers indicating the place of import and an import tax receipt.

I'd talk with your friend and check whether any other documents exist.

There's threads about on import tax rates, but as AE said:
AE86 wrote:my family just did a 17' Air Blade which was $520?
So you're looking at around 400. 2015 airblades seem to go around $1400 on the classified websites, so still could be a cheap bike once legal.

Thanks for the advice. I am meeting with the guy I bought the bike from tomorrow morning. He told me He would go with me to the places I need to go to get the tax payed for. The document on import is my biggest worry now. Otherwise this will become an expensive lesson learned.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Never buy anything without plates and a card.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic