Two Khmer expressions related to speech

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Two Khmer expressions related to speech

Post by taabarang »

The first one deals with conveying the idea of speaking a "broken" language as in " He speaks broken English."

The construct is" nihyey piasaa (add your choice)
. bowii.

A note on my my phonetics. "bow" is quite similar to the English"bough" in tree bough. The
"II" is a long "e" sound.*. If you have put it together correctly you will notice that it sounds exactly like the Khmer word for "scoop" or "ladle" the implement you dip into water to bathe yourself.
.y wife says they are spelled exactly the same but are apparently unrelated. So, one sample sentence.

Borethey chran chiang kee nihyey piasaa Khmer bowii.

Most foreigners speak broken Khmer.

The second one conveys the notion of speaking with an accent.

This construct is "nihyey piasaa pailam. Although
pailam is usually doubled as in

Nyom nihyey piasaa Khmer pailam pailam.

I speak Cambodian with an accent.

Here's another one zI only learned after posting this.

Nihyey cham tua aksor-which means to speak perfectly correctly. As an American I hesitate to use this idiom, but it seems to approach" To speak the King's English" in meaning.
My wife used to describe her grannie's Cambodian when she lived with her in the Pol Pot period. Grannie also had a story about an uneducated male cousin of hers who was a household servant to a Frenchman. All of which is intended to introduce"bowii baranh." Bowii barang means an uneducated peasant servant.
As an example her is grannie"s story as told to me by her granddaughter (my wife.)

The servant's name was Miek; although he worked for a Frenchman he spoke no French. One day he sent Miek to the market to buy some fruit sending him on his wife with a thanks Merci.)
The poor servant didn't understand"Merci" and thought he said "Miek sii.". So the servant went home and dutifully ate the fruit the Frenchman had paid for.
Last edited by taabarang on Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Two expressions related to speech

Post by StroppyChops »

Heard an Aussie speaker the other day (in church) who argued that people believe he speaks English, and then Khmer... he seriously argues that he speaks English, and Broken English, and then Khmer - and I must agree with him. I've learned to speak pidgin for a number of different languages now, and I find myself speaking the Khmer version of English pidgin (broken English) more than either English or Khmer. Just an observation.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Two expressions related to speech

Post by taabarang »

". Just an observation."

They are always welcome on my posts.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Two Khmer expressions related to speech

Post by taabarang »

One idiom added. Bump

I'm sorry for the grammatical errors and typos but
the edit function has apparently expired. So while I can't clean them all up the most egregious one iis " sending him on his wife with a thanks Merci.)". which should read , "sending him on his way."
Last edited by taabarang on Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm The first one deals with conveying the idea of speaking a "broken" language as in " He speaks broken English."

The construct is" nihyey piasaa (add your choice)
. bowii.

A note on my my phonetics. "bow" is quite similar to the English"bough" in tree bough. The
"II" is a long "e" sound.*. If you have put it together correctly you will notice that it sounds exactly like the Khmer word for "scoop" or "ladle" the implement you dip into water to bathe yourself.
.y wife says they are spelled exactly the same but are apparently unrelated. So, one sample sentence.

Borethey chran chiang kee nihyey piasaa Khmer bowii.

Most foreigners speak broken Khmer.

The second one conveys the notion of speaking with an accent.

This construct is "nihyey piasaa pailam. Although
pailam is usually doubled as in

Nyom nihyey piasaa Khmer pailam pailam.

I speak Cambodian with an accent.

Here's another one zI only learned after posting this.

Nihyey cham tua aksor-which means to speak perfectly correctly. As an American I hesitate to use this idiom, but it seems to approach" To speak the King's English" in meaning.
My wife used to describe her grannie's Cambodian when she lived with her in the Pol Pot period. Grannie also had a story about an uneducated male cousin of hers who was a household servant to a Frenchman. All of which is intended to introduce"bowii baranh." Bowii barang means an uneducated peasant servant.
As an example her is grannie"s story as told to me by her granddaughter (my wife.)

The servant's name was Miek; although he worked for a Frenchman he spoke no French. One day he sent Miek to the market to buy some fruit sending him on his wife with a thanks Merci.)
The poor servant didn't understand"Merci" and thought he said "Miek sii.". So the servant went home and dutifully ate the fruit the Frenchman had paid for.
i always enjoy your posts taa, as i like to try translate them

ប៉ៃឡាំ - Pailam - To be unclear/incomprehensible

still working on the rest :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Jamie, I'm glad you enjoy them. Actually I thought you probably knew these expressions already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic