Welding high-tensile steel

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nutnbuta
Tourist

Re: Welding high-tensile steel

Post by nutnbuta »

Its not so much about who does the welding job, what's more important is to use the correct welding rod.
A welding rod similar to a eutectic 680 rod would be ideal, good luck finding a rod like that in Cambodia.
A 5kg box of Eutectic 680 welding rods would probably be worth more than your bike.
A local guy should be able to do a reasonable job for a couple of dollars........just don't kick too hard when starting your bike.
And yes, I am a qualified tradesman.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hotdigr wrote:I'm not a welder, but I know high tensile is not easy to weld. A fella I live with is a master welder. He's at work in Oz at the moment, but I just sent him an email to ask him if its possible and how it should be done ie: stick, MIG or TIG. I will let you know as soon as he gets back to me mate ( probably in the next day or two)
Thanks, hotdigr, Brian at Smokey da Boar was very helpful, but at the moment he doesn't have the rods.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Here's his answer. Put it this way, if anyone is talking rods, ( ie: stick welding) go elsewhere
"If he can get the kickstarter, TIG would be better but there is no problem using a MIG. Just make sure the weld is full penetration and might be a good idea to weld a strong back on the kickstart"
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Anyway I bought a replacement, I have to have reliable transport.

I have kept the cracked one, and would still like to have it welded.
murray
Tourist
Australia

Post by murray »

Hello All,
Well I finally cracked and got Vladimir do deliver his kick starter to me...........and joined this forum.
His original post regarding "high tensile" is quite a way off the mark.
Your average bolt generally come in two common forms...... mild steel or "high tensile".
A kick starter is hardly high tensile.
It is extremely high in carbon and needs better than a GP welding rod or basic mig/tig filler wire.
The now infamous kick starter will need welding in 3 different places (There is a tiny almost invisible hairline crack on the spline).
I just this month bought a brand new 350 amp 3 phase inverter mig welder.
With standard mig wire and Co2 gas that would be close to useless in welding this part.
I will have a go later this week using a low hydrogen welding rod (The brand is Gemini and they're made in Thailand).
Chances are by the weekend Vladimir will have either (a)a far from perfect but usable kick starter....or (b) a totally f**ked kick starter.
Cheers Murray.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Thanks Murray, very informative.

In no way was I trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

That's why I sent him to the professionals.

In my line of work we have had Brian do some work for us and I can only recommend him and his team. They are one of the few companies in Cambodia that I can say I have had full service from, from start to finish. He is a top block who knows what he is talking about. I he can't so the job or is to busy to take the job on (which happens often) he will tell you. No bull shit.

If he can't do it he will point you in the direction of someone else that can.

Cambodia could do with more business owners with his ethic, and if someone asks about who can do a job that he could do I will always recommend him.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

murray wrote:Hello All.
Muzzaaaah. :D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

murray wrote:
....and joined this forum.
Welcome! Glad you signed up and joined in on the discussion! :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
shorttimereader
Tourist

Post by shorttimereader »

When my kick starter chewed half its spline teeth out in the middle of battambang and pailin, I just told the local kubota welder to weld it to the spline. He had a far better idea though which was to enlarge the gap in the bolt area (not the thread itself), and then the bolt could get enough grip and the two sides could close tightly. If you got the one you're thinking that you might need a sleeve for, this should sort you out.
And mines been fine since (2 years or so).
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hey Murray, thanks!

I would like to thank Brian for his troubles, if anyone is out there, please pin his place on Google maps, I'm sure this won't be the last time someone needs to find his place, and it will help with the sausage business.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic