Cambodia's future transportation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's future transportation

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm Why does Cambodia keep getting handouts? It's like never taking the training wheels off your child's bike. How many other public transportation systems have been funded by other countries' donor agencies? Bangkok wasn't as far as I know. Vietnam? China? Brazil? Honest question as I can't think of a single one...
It's not a handout. Japanese expertise, machinery and technology would be used, so that's where much of the money goes back anyway. And it's likely a loan, not a donation. They don't just give some Cambodian official a check for $1 billion and tell them to get on with building a skytrain system.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:36 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm Why does Cambodia keep getting handouts? It's like never taking the training wheels off your child's bike. How many other public transportation systems have been funded by other countries' donor agencies? Bangkok wasn't as far as I know. Vietnam? China? Brazil? Honest question as I can't think of a single one...
It's not a handout. Japanese expertise, machinery and technology would be used, so that's where much of the money goes back anyway. And it's likely a loan, not a donation. They don't just give some Cambodian official a check for $1 billion and tell them to get on with building a skytrain system.

''And it's likely a loan, not a donation.

And the difference is ??
I think a distinction without a difference.
Can anyone point to a country that Cambodia has repaid the loan to ?
Or even serviced the debt.

Maybe not the whole billion at once but we can sure siphon of quite a few mill to our cronies along the way. Planing, feasability studies, cost/benefit analysis, then maybe start/stop multiple times, bring in new contractors and so on and so on until.....aw fuk it. It can't be done. Disruptive. :hattip:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:34 pm Is that comment tongue-in-cheek or not? Vietnam had a war for even longer, so did many other countries.
Little bit different in Cambodia's case, where the country's best and brightest were systematically targeted, tortured and slaughtered. Much more difficult to recover from that than a bog standard war.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 6:27 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:34 pm Is that comment tongue-in-cheek or not? Vietnam had a war for even longer, so did many other countries.
Little bit different in Cambodia's case, where the country's best and brightest were systematically targeted, tortured and slaughtered. Much more difficult to recover from that than a bog standard war.

The big question is ,,,, How many year does it take to educate someone up to a Masters degree level , to replace all those educated Cambodians that died during the Pol Pot era 40 years ago. ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ At least a couple of generations.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:36 pmIt's not a handout. Japanese expertise, machinery and technology would be used, so that's where much of the money goes back anyway. And it's likely a loan, not a donation. They don't just give some Cambodian official a check for $1 billion and tell them to get on with building a skytrain system.
Where does it say it'll be a loan? Was the drainage system a loan as well? The Neak Luon bridge? I doubt it...
The old "no educated people" is an overused cliche and gets a bit tiring to hear. It's a poor excuse in my opinion. A huge percentage of the population have never even seen war. Besides, that's not the issue: I just don't see why they can't fund their own system. I'm not saying Cambodians should design and build it on their own, but they could easily contact SNC Lavallin, Siemens, Bombardier or Alstom and ask them to create something within their budget and needs. Hell, why not ask Indian and Chinese companies for their help in designing a budget transportation system? Then actually paying for it...? They'll play the card for as long as they can, waiting for someone else to foot the bill. I don't understand why it's still acceptable for donor countries to build schools and infrastructure in Cambodia. It takes responsibility away from the government and perpetuates the "beggar nation" status.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Username Taken wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm ^^ At least a couple of generations.
Yep, the Khmer Rouge set the country back many, many decades. Generations of knowledge and skills lost that you can't replace by sending a single generation to uni.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm ^^ At least a couple of generations.
Yep, the Khmer Rouge set the country back many, many decades.

Generations of knowledge and skills lost that you can't replace by sending a single generation to uni.

Total bullshit. Anyone that wants to learn ,,, will learn with computers and modern technology it is much more easier to study and become a engineer ,, or whatever
than it has ever been in history. To say that someone or the population does not have the required skills because the previous generation of engineers ,, or whatever,, were killed,,is a total cop out.

As an example , would those engineers that were killed under Pol Pot be able to teach today's students how to do calculations and drawings on a computer. . No,,, because none of them would even know what a computer could do. So their deaths have no effect on the ability of any students to study engineering.

OK , my rants over.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 pmOK , my rants over.
I give it 6/10 - clearly only minimal planning, and you could have used a broader vocabulary. Overall, not bad, room for improvement.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 pmOK , my rants over.
I give it 6/10 - clearly only minimal planning, and you could have used a broader vocabulary. Overall, not bad, room for improvement.
Having left school at the age of 15, with a learning disability, which was 55 years ago, I dont claim to be the best, smartest or brightest kid on CEO. I would be
more than happy with a 5/10
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic