Bar Owners in Sihanoukville Being Watched

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Bar Owners in Sihanoukville Being Watched

Post by Hotdigr »

In a way, we as ( western?) expats, make the same mistake K440 has made with discounting and denigrating the parents network ( or whatever the fuk it is)/ We ( Australian, English, American, Canadian,WESTERN, however you want to describe us as a group) like to think we are the majority (of expats) and the only group ( of expats) that counts. The actual facts are, we are in a minority ( of expats) by the proverbial country mile. Learn how to cater to the majority and you aren't going to be arguing % profit to % markup or whatever on sandwiches, because you are going to be to busy making money. I stated already that S/ville is in a transition and its going to take a couple of years. BUT if you can establish your brand now, with the right market ( ie: if you have a business plan, are professional and can stick to that plan) and IF you have the resources to last out the transition period. in MY opinion, you will do very,very well very soon.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Hotdigr wrote:.... well its just good business sense really isn't it?
Exactly, case in point.

It has lacked, is lacking, and will continue to lack in Sinville.

How's the huge resort doing in Otres Beach? Oh, that's right; it was scrapped/delayed/etc.

They've also been saying that every guesthouse on the beach side of the road will have to move for 4+ years. Still not the case.

A road, finally, is a good "start" though.

Again, Sinville is what it is, and no matter how many "rich" Russians you meet, it's still going to be considered a dump by most standards.

And don't get me wrong, I love Sihanoukville! But to announce things will be turning around anytime soon has been announced a million times in the past 10+ years.

How many international commercial flights is the airport there getting now? Exactly.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Hotdigr wrote: I want to stress that THEY ARE HERE AND SPENDING MONEY NOW ,just not with you. As are the Koreans in particular and Chinese and the Thai's. Learn how to attract that market and the town is yours.
Exactly. And they will continue to have their sealed off "nice" areas and their own islands as they always have.

Nothing has changed. You have simply seen a side of the beach that you were formerly unaware of until recently.

Now you know.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

GM you are missing or avoiding my point. The market is already here and already growing fast. Its not westerners.Well even thats not quite right. When I opened Javalina's 2 years ago we were lucky to see a family a week. Last New Years when I was at The Cove, there were heaps of kids there. Just walking down the street today shows you things are changing and changing quickly. Think Kuta 15 years ago, think Kuta now even after the bombings. Take the blinkers off mate.
LOL, just read your second comment mate. Its obvious why you don't run a business. The market is there NOW. If you don't believe you can tap that market, well you won't ay!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Hotdigr wrote:... we are in a transition period ...

... The people that think S/ville is going to continue to support sex,drugs and cheap beer, are destined for the scrap heap in the not to distant future.
Hotdigr wrote:Nothing to do with plans GM, the simple fact is these people live here NOW and want decent venues to go to. ...
Hotdigr wrote:... you have the resources to last out the transition period. in MY opinion, you will do very,very well very soon.
Hotdigr wrote:... The market is already here and already growing fast....
Well, I guess you lost me.

One post says it's all about the NOW, then your next post says it's about the FUTURE, and goes back and forth.

You say it currently "supports sex, drugs and cheap beer" and that it won't in the future. Why? Just because there's also a market that has been here a while that you didn't know about until recently when you started working with the Russians?

I agree it's continuing to be built up, but that's just like most places on coasts.

I believe Cambodia as a whole will be trapped in this "transition period" a hell of a lot longer than you think.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LOL, funny! I just done talking with a friend 2 hours ago who is a native Kampong Saom, Prey Nob to be precise. In his own word, come here for a holiday but don't try living here (in downtown) its an expensive place. I gathered he implied the down town is for those with wealth and cash i.e dumshit hippies.

I've been to Snooky a few times. The only thing I missed about it is the fair local price beer at the mom n pop opposite to the museum airport. Other than that, a part from the barang, the spoiled Khmer kids with their Papa's $ finding their romance on that wooden bridge along the Ocheatteal's beach. Or maybe they are Khmer-French. Look the same to me.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

No , I think you lost yourself mate! The market is already here and growing fast. The transition is that we as westerners have not seen it( the exisitng and growing market) and have only tried to tap the SDRnR market before. That market is now dead. Look at the Hill, Pub st and the Square. How many posts on how many forums do you need to read before you realise only a fukn idiot would invest even a $1000 in that sector nowdays? And yet the town is actually full of people, with money in their pockets, right now compared to, say last year or the year before, or the year before. Guess what? people are tapping that market and doing quite well out of it. Just because your haunts are empty, doesn't mean people aren't here and spending money. A good business owner/manger finds the market and caters to it. Come in next time you're in town mate. The Spot will probably be full of well heeled, well behaved Russians, with a few well heeled, well behaved westerners in the mix. If that sort of demographic doesn't suit you.... perhaps you aren't the market we are targeting?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Hotdigr wrote: I stated already that S/ville is in a transition and its going to take a couple of years. BUT if you can establish your brand now, with the right market ( ie: if you have a business plan, are professional and can stick to that plan) and IF you have the resources to last out the transition period. in MY opinion, you will do very,very well very soon.
All I'm saying is that if I had a nickel for every time a foreigner came here and said ^ that, I wouldn't need to run a business.

Again, you've been living there how long, and you just very recently came across this market that was completely unknown to you?

Maybe you'll find another new market that you didn't know existed in another few months.

If this was based off your keen observance over the last few years, I think it would hold more weight.

But instead, you didn't know they existed this whole time, and only found out about them very recently when you started working with the Russians.

Again, you just discovered this whole new world and now think we are right in the middle of a transition period and all the cheap drugs, sex and booze are going to be gone soon.

I guess I just don't follow your logic on it. Things are improving down there, and people have been arriving there for the past 20 years and thinking THE EXACT SAME THING you're saying, only to later realize that they got over excited.

Only time will tell, nothing else.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Actually, if fukn K440 hadn't wiped all my posts, you would see that you and me had this "transition"argument about 2 years ago! You miss my point again though. Its only us blind westerners that need to transit (wrong use maybe, but you get the point I think!) The fukn market is here and growing quickly, we just have to take our blinkers off and see it! YES, this market was completely unknown to me. Did YOU know how big and lucrative it was? If so, why did you keep it a secret? Maybe I WILL find another market in a few months that I didn't know existed ( actually, there is something in the pipeline right now), that's why I get payed fukn good money to do what I do and do it well. Same as you get payed good money to do what you do well! Its my job and tbh I'm fukn good at it.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ You seem tense, theGeneral. Let me set you up with a 10,000r massage, I know a place.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic