Magic Aroni (White Cheddar)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Magic Aroni (White Cheddar)

Post by FreeSocrates! »

MagicAroni (White Cheddar)

I saw the box in Lucky and found the packaging inspiring and enchanting (+1 for this). I didn’t know if it was going to be “Scrumpdelicious” as the box claimed so I decided to make a few additions in order to secure the “Scumpdelicious” meal I wanted for myself, rather than just rely on The Magic Time Coporation (No offense to anyone that works or likes Magic Time, but I am careful when fusing new relationships with unknown, strange brands, after all who doesn’t eat the same breakfast cereal nowadays that they ate as kids!).

- spinach
- onion
- tomato
- garlic
- beef
- cheesy doritos (very small bag to use as garnish)
- one package of Magic Aroni

All the veg was sitting in my fridge already, so all I had to buy was the beef and cheese doritos.

I was going for that hybrid flavour, you only get when you combine natural foods with synthetic ingredients.

I sauteed the onions for a good 10 - 15 minutes while I chopped up the rest of the ingredients and got things ready.

I then added the beef and about 5 cloves of garlic, until the beef was brown. (salt and pepper of course for seasoning).

I then added the tomatoes and spinach to the mixture last as to not overcook them.

I tested the mixture at this stage (as you should!) and decided it needed more salt and garlic so I added some Garlic Salt.

I had to take a break here as I only have one pan, but couldn’t wait to get down for Magic Time so quickly washed it and boiled some water.

Opening the cardboard box was easy, much easier than skinning the garlic or coring an onion.

The pasta poured out in a brilliant waterfall into the boiling water (I had added a bit of salt to the water to lower the boiling part).

One it was Al dente I then proceeded to drain it, which is a pain in the ass because I only have one plate and one pan, but I was able to get it drained without too much pasta loss.

It would be quite nice if did someone at Magic Time did some “forward thinking” and they included something to drain the pasta with. It would have been a lot more “Magical”. However I won’t dock any points for this small oversight.

The tiny macaronis tasted like pasta should, and was not over or undercooked. It just made me think, doesn’t all pasta taste the same when it doesn’t have sauce on it, how bland!

However as strange as it may sound I’ve made a very good pasta out of nothing but olive oil, parmesan cheese and pepper before, so I guess pasta is just one of those spongy things that goes with other real food.

I cleaned the pan out, and proceed onto the sauce.

It says on the box that you should use ¼ of milk and some butter or margarine. It also says to pour these ingredients as well as the Magic Time packet of synthetic cheese sauce over the pasta.

Not in my kitchen!

The sauce to me should definately be prepared separately, doing this will also help ensure you get the right consistency.

¼ of milk in my humble opinion is not quite enough milk to get the right consistency. So I had to add more. Don’t be surprised if you work for Magic Time and end up getting a letter or email about this, I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have more milk on hand already.

After making the sauce, I added the pasta. It was ok. Didn’t really have as much flavour as the beef/garlic/tomatoe mixture I prepared; but I felt that was ok because combining my mixture with a powerful flavour and this somewhat bland box of pasta I was sure going to make things magical.

After combining them I made out a serving and looked at the bowl. Not quite as Magical as I thought it was going to be!

Once my beef and veg mixture was combined it also “looked” quite bland.

Luckily I had bought those Doritos and added them as a garnish. That orange fluorescent color really livened up the dish and made it come alive with Magic!

The Doritos also give every spoonful a bit of crunch. For my cooking I scored 13.276 out of 10. And for Magic Time’s Magic Aroni I’d give a 6.015 / 10.

So a combined total of 9.6455.

After writing this I took another bite, just to make sure that the score actually verified this.

In the end I lowered both scores drastically.

12.0999 / 10 and 1.5 / 10 respectively. For a combined new total of 6.79995.

I also think that the traditional garlic / tomato direction I took on this dish might not have been the best direction. (which is really the reason I docked myself a full point rather than just a half).

I’d definately appreciate more feedback on what to do differnetly next time from this community as well as Magic Time.

In the end:
The Onions and Beef work well in combination with the Magic Aroni, but the garlic and tomatoes didn’t seem to fuse well with the Disodium Phosphate of the Magic Aroni.
Certainly not Inedible, but I don’t know if I can put this in the category of “Scrumpdelicious!”.

The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Magic Aroni (White Cheddar)

Post by StroppyChops »

^ :D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

It's been 17 days.

I think I'm getting close to giving in and having a beer or two.

I would never have cooked my own food if I had been drunk!
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Ummm.... salt water actually boils at a higher temp then fresh water. Just sayn' you know!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ he's right. It also boils faster.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I tell h'ya what, dat dur's sum mighty fine lookin' dining der sun!

Did you open a bottle of Merlot with it? ;)

How much was that Mac N Cheese box btw?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic