Israeli Expat and Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay $1.3M Loan from Acleda Bank in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
eriksank
Expatriate

Israeli Expat and Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay $1.3M Loan from Acleda Bank in Cambodia

Post by eriksank »

| Israeli Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay Loan, by Ouch Sony | May 1, 2017

An Israeli man was arrested on Thursday after Acleda Bank filed a complaint against him for failing to repay $1.3 million worth of loans, police and the bank said on Sunday.
Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor Khieu Phalla said on Sunday afternoon that he was still questioning the suspect, who had not yet been charged.

Nowhere in the article, the prosecution claim that the man committed fraud, and therefore that it would be a criminal case. Not paying or not being able to pay your loan, is a civil matter.

Ms. Bunseyha said Mr. Goldshtien had failed to make repayments eight times since June 2015. Acleda filed the complaint against him earlier this year, she said. He always asked for a delay and did not settle, she said. His business is still running, but he did not settle back to the bank.

Failing to make repayments is not a criminal issue in itself. His company may simply not have the cashflow to make repayments. It looks like they are trying to throw him in Debtors' Prison: Increasing access and lenience throughout the history of bankruptcy law have made prison terms for unaggravated indigence illegal over most of the world.

We want him to respect Cambodian law and we don’t want foreigners…to violate the law in our country, she added.

What ACLEDA says there is ridiculous. If the man is not capable of paying -- he could claim this -- then he simply won't pay. If he is unable to pay, where is the fraud or other criminal offense? Why doesn't ACLEDA commence bankruptcy proceedings, in order to liquidate his assets, instead of sending the police to the debtor?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Israeli Expat and Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay $1.3M Loan from Acleda Bank in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

Added his smiling face to your post. :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Israeli Expat and Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay $1.3M Loan from Acleda Bank in Cambodia

Post by juansweetpotato »

Could it be a case of bad harvest due to 2 years drought? If so, I doubt if he is the only one looking at losing his land due to loan arrears.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Cory Crimson
Tourist

Post by Cory Crimson »

eriksank wrote: | Israeli Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay Loan, by Ouch Sony | May 1, 2017

An Israeli man was arrested on Thursday after Acleda Bank filed a complaint against him for failing to repay $1.3 million worth of loans, police and the bank said on Sunday.
Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor Khieu Phalla said on Sunday afternoon that he was still questioning the suspect, who had not yet been charged.

Nowhere in the article, the prosecution claim that the man committed fraud, and therefore that it would be a criminal case. Not paying or not being able to pay your loan, is a civil matter.

Ms. Bunseyha said Mr. Goldshtien had failed to make repayments eight times since June 2015. Acleda filed the complaint against him earlier this year, she said. He always asked for a delay and did not settle, she said. His business is still running, but he did not settle back to the bank.

Failing to make repayments is not a criminal issue in itself. His company may simply not have the cashflow to make repayments. It looks like they are trying to throw him in Debtors' Prison: Increasing access and lenience throughout the history of bankruptcy law have made prison terms for unaggravated indigence illegal over most of the world.

We want him to respect Cambodian law and we don’t want foreigners…to violate the law in our country, she added.

What ACLEDA says there is ridiculous. If the man is not capable of paying -- he could claim this -- then he simply won't pay. If he is unable to pay, where is the fraud or other criminal offense? Why doesn't ACLEDA commence bankruptcy proceedings, in order to liquidate his assets, instead of sending the police to the debtor?
Dear eriksank,

Although I'm new to this forum, I'm no stranger to crooked Cambodian judicial system. I was very pleased to read your insight on this matter since it sounds like you have a clear understanding of his situation even though you don't have the details in front of you except for a one sided and unbalanced side of the story written in a very bias manner by a news paper which I thought was an ethical one who took investigative journalism more seriously.
I expected that from outlets like Fresh News but not from the Cambodian Daily, what a shame...
I actually worked for the guy and I can honestly testify that Mr. Goldshtein would never harm a single fly! The sole purpose of C3 Limited (the company in question) is to empower the struggling Cambodian Cassava farmers' sector which has been in rapid declined in the past three years, through fare trade, implementation of modern technology and securing fixed prices in a market that offers non of the above, something that the government of cambodia has failed to do time and time again (the same government who to begin with introduced this non native crop to the Cambodian farmers).
not only did the government abandoned these farmers once market prices started dropping significantly, but they had also failed to come up with alternative solutions to this incresingly dire situation.
By putting him in debtors prison, they are sending a very clear message to all foreign investors that cambodia does not abide by international trade norms which would eventually deter such investors from setting foot in the country let alone feel safe to invest a single dollar.
The bank and the country stand to gain absolutely nothing as long as he's rotting in prison, such a wreckless and irrisponsible action on there behalf would only have negative impact on this country and further deepens the export gap the country is working so hard to bridge between cambodia and western markets.
I know of at least two different foreign investment funds who up until last Thursday were at the final stages of an ongoing nagosiation to invest in his company with already signed contracts and proof of raised funding for the next three years, one of which has already U-turned and the second one would most likely follow suit.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cory Crimson wrote:
eriksank wrote: | Israeli Businessman Dan Goldshtien Arrested After Failing to Repay Loan, by Ouch Sony | May 1, 2017

Dear eriksank,

Although I'm new to this forum, I'm no stranger to crooked Cambodian judicial system. I was very pleased to read your insight on this matter since it sounds like you have a clear understanding of his situation even though you don't have the details in front of you except for a one sided and unbalanced side of the story written in a very bias manner by a news paper which I thought was an ethical one who took investigative journalism more seriously.
I expected that from outlets like Fresh News but not from the Cambodian Daily, what a shame...
I actually worked for the guy and I can honestly testify that Mr. Goldshtein would never harm a single fly! The sole purpose of C3 Limited (the company in question) is to empower the struggling Cambodian Cassava farmers' sector which has been in rapid declined in the past three years, through fare trade, implementation of modern technology and securing fixed prices in a market that offers non of the above, something that the government of cambodia has failed to do time and time again (the same government who to begin with introduced this non native crop to the Cambodian farmers).
not only did the government abandoned these farmers once market prices started dropping significantly, but they had also failed to come up with alternative solutions to this incresingly dire situation.
By putting him in debtors prison, they are sending a very clear message to all foreign investors that cambodia does not abide by international trade norms which would eventually deter such investors from setting foot in the country let alone feel safe to invest a single dollar.
The bank and the country stand to gain absolutely nothing as long as he's rotting in prison, such a wreckless and irrisponsible action on there behalf would only have negative impact on this country and further deepens the export gap the country is working so hard to bridge between cambodia and western markets.
I know of at least two different foreign investment funds who up until last Thursday were at the final stages of an ongoing nagosiation to invest in his company with already signed contracts and proof of raised funding for the next three years, one of which has already U-turned and the second one would most likely follow suit.
Is he sorting out a resolution, or does it look like he will simply rot away in Prey Sar Prison?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

Silly goyim will you ever learn...
More khazarians giving real jews a bad name.
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic