CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Post by Hugh Briss »

[quote="phuketrichard"
why?[/quote]

never mind man just forget it, shouldn't have posted it, actually went back to delete it but you'd already quoted and posted.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

EdinWigan wrote:
Free Socrates, I went a few times, during my last visit. It is a nice bar, a nice clientèle, great service and a nice change from the full on bars. A little oasis of calm, in a city of evening noise ( although, I am sure there are other such bars)

It is worth a visit

Burgers are also recommended and as I recall, a favourite of the General Staff!

:beer2:
I have 1 or 2 friends that I regularly go for dinner with that for some reason or another won't go there. I never really asked them about it. But that's probably the main reason I've never been to Garage. (not a very good reason when I think about it)

I also have 1 or 2 friends from K440 that went/go to Garage somewhat regularly, and they never invited me there!

Being friends with people is complicated.

I made new friends with a guy last night and he passed out in his french fries! Just when I thought he was starting to warm up to me!

Next time I feel like a burger I'll make the effort to go to Garage.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

FreeSocrates! wrote:Is Howies the unofficial bar of K440?

Every time I meet someone from that website, they always take me to Howies.
FreeSocrates! wrote:
Ha! Glad to see you and Gavin getting along! I thought there might end up being a Connect-4 showdown with you two , but it never happened, LoL.

That seemed random, as I can't remember ever going to Howie's with him before. That is where The Dragon and Gavin might have met for the first time, however.

Howie's was one of 5 stops last night. Sometimes it's lively, last night was not one of those times. I'm just glad they allowed us to order burgers and fries delivered inside since their kitchen was closed at 2am.

Garage Bar is often where I start the night. A burger++, drinks and then wherever late night. That's a good starting point because of its location too. The owner will often head out with us too if we end up having a plan that might be fun.

I'd also agree that a lot more people come there that aren't posters, but I also end up seeing a few poster friends from both sites there when I stop by.

Well, I'm just waking up. I might head there and get a burger for breakfast in a bit, and I'll hit you up if I do.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

"Next time I feel like a burger I'll make the effort to go to Garage."

me too, because of this thread! LOL, I kind of imagine that the association with 440 was beneficial to the biz.

i always had the impression the owner was a good guy- it was the patrons i was concerned about.

when 440 has come up in discussion in real life around town ( infrequently) the words have not been very positive.

because of it's high visibility- it gave people a pretty poor view of Cambodia at first glance- and of the posters as well.

there is a strong whiff of colonial attitudes and paternalism there. it seems to be a real reflection of a compensation syndrome in a cultural and political sense.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Rain Dog wrote:@ general mach: the helping others posts should be taken out and put into a new thread. You are doing good things here and and it would be a shame to lose this in a thread about k440 ... In the "asinine" folder of all places.
LoL, we need to change the name of this forum from something that doesn't "insult" anything in it. It's just supposed to be off topic.

Generally, I'd move it, but it just happened out of thin air. And while it might be a good thing to highlight and let everyone see, I think the chicken would appreciate it just getting lost in the mix, and the kind donors seem to be happy not getting any credit for their selfless acts.

So we'll just leave it be. The good deeds have already been accomplished, and that's what counts.

Good idea though, and thanks for giving it some thought!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

good call GM- i would advocate this whole thread be waxed at some point.
everyone has exchanged ideas here and blown off their resentment.
it is time to move on from reaction to action!

give some face to this place we like: Srok Khmer.

there is plenty of negative stuff but a lot of uniquely good stuff too.

i don't mean sycophancy
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

General Mackevili wrote:
Hmmm.... If I can leave my house. The party continued for me much longer into the night, I have had hangovers like these before and they usually last a day or 2.
General Mackevili wrote: Ha! Glad to see you and Gavin getting along! I thought there might end up being a Connect-4 showdown with you two , but it never happened, LoL.
GavinMac is a good guy and unless I do some more training and reading he'd probably own me in Connect 4.

"The thinking man's game."
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:@ general mach: the helping others posts should be taken out and put into a new thread. You are doing good things here and and it would be a shame to lose this in a thread about k440 ... In the "asinine" folder of all places.
I think the chicken would appreciate it just getting lost in the mix, and the kind donors seem to be happy not getting any credit for their selfless acts.
Yea -- fair point. If you guys do try to pursue some of the related ideas that came out of that then you might want to start a new thread (pinned). I would add the recent topic about glue sniffing kids as well (Although I share LTOs concern about possible unanticipated consequences). I think a lot of people might be willing to step up and help out here and there. The problem is most of us talk about problems --- but few of us do -- and I very much put myself in that category unfortunately. I was impressed that you got some people to step up and and help out.

Some men are "Thinking Men" -- others "Do" :mrgreen:
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

The smashburger at Garage bar is very good. The regular burger cooked "sous vide" is more expensive but not nearly as good in my opinion. Someone recently described it on tripadvisor as a "meat sponge" I agree with that assessment.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

PhnomRon wrote:The smashburger at Garage bar is very good. The regular burger cooked "sous vide" is more expensive but not nearly as good in my opinion. Someone recently described it on tripadvisor as a "meat sponge" I agree with that assessment.
Time for a quality control check I guess. My fault, it's more burger than I want to eat so on a regular basis I eat the smashes. The sous vide burger used to get raves, obviously something has gone amiss. Im guessing staff is letting water leak into the bags. Will be on it when I'm back on Thursday. Thanks for the honest feedback.
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic