Building with Bamboo

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Building with Bamboo

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bamboo no longer an underdog in material world
In 2015, French group Architects Without Territories (ASTER), descended upon Takhmao town to build a structure made absolutely out of bamboo with the main goal of it being a training centre on how to make proper use of bamboo. It also acted as a material testing lab.
A year later, the facility was taken on by BTI as a bamboo treatment centre and educational facility in the aims of training local and international architects and designers on constructing with bamboo.

For Pablo Marcet, project manager at BTI, this was the case. Having come onboard the bamboo scene in the Kingdom in July last year, the civil engineer holds a master’s in architecture and initially volunteered with BTI four years ago in Thailand.

“What we’re trying to do is to spread the word that it’s really simple to use bamboo and to get all the things needed for the treatment. In the end, we want to be able to say “Hey Cambodia, this is bamboo, this is how you can use it, now try it out yourselves”,” Marcet said.

Exactly why bamboo is sustainable lies with the fact that it grows at an astonishing rate. If a farmer had a bamboo field and cut it all off to sell or construct something with, he would have an even bigger bamboo field re-grown within the next five years, said Marcet.

On its durability, he noted that untreated bamboo can last up to five years. “When treated, however, and depending on the type of treatment you do, it can last for decades.” ...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prope ... rial-world
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Building with Bamboo

Post by willyhilly »

Most bamboo forests have been cut down in Cambodia. Vietnam by contrast seems to have a lot of bamboo forests.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm not so sure they were cut down. I don't think it grows as readily here as other places. They have some around Aural and in the Cardamom mountains, but it's nothing like what can be seen in China or Japan. Preservation might play a role but I suspect it grows more sparsely here. Also, bamboo is weird. I remember reading up on it and it grows in these weird cycles. No one quite knows how/why.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm Most bamboo forests have been cut down in Cambodia. Vietnam by contrast seems to have a lot of bamboo forests.
There are still plenty of bamboo stands everywhere, not sure about forests. Anyway they don't take long to grow. Bamboo plants reach their full height and diameter within a year. They have to be harvested before they get to around 6-7 years old or they will get infested with fungus and decay.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

When crossing the border to Ha Tien what immediately struck me was the amount of bamboo growing in Vietnam compared to Cambodia. So I don't think it is a regional thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic