If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

AE86 wrote:I'll be honest, when I see foreigners (or any race) wearing Japanese specific traditional garb, it really bothers me. I couldn't tell you why though.

On the other hand, it also bothers me when Asians try to act "American", that also bothers me. Again, I couldn't tell you why.

That's why I never wear anything that is "Cambodian".
Same. Personally, I don't mind it if someone is wearing a Krama when out riding a motorcycle, in a dusty field, taking a bucket shower in the countryside, out in the countryside running/working or something. It's designed as protection from the heat/sun/dust after all. However, if you're wearing one at 8pm on Bassac Lane with a cocktail in hand, then you're definitely a hipster douche. Basically, don't wear one around your neck in the evenings when out and about with your gap-year NGO friends in the city or you'll get bricks thrown at you by the newly established hipster hunter squad.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 pm
hanno wrote:I do actually wear a neck krama as a Sarong at home. Fits just fine.
That's as bad as the Russians in thongs, dude. The knackers get to clang free
Not even close as same same.
In your mind, picture the male ruskie or any/thing/one male in a thong.
Then put a sarong on that mental image.
Ahhh.

Now don't you feel better? 8-)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"ill be coming to kampong cham aorund the 15/16th for the new year mate ill give you a shout when im in the villages"

Yeah please do. I don't know what nefarious travel plans the family has planned for KNY, but if they're not dragging the barang relative to far flung hamlets we'll get something on. Just PM me with a time and I'll meet you here in Dogpatch.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 pm Same. Personally, I don't mind it if someone is wearing a Krama when out riding a motorcycle, in a dusty field, taking a bucket shower in the countryside, out in the countryside running/working or something. It's designed as protection from the heat/sun/dust after all. However, if you're wearing one at 8pm on Bassac Lane with a cocktail in hand, then you're definitely a hipster douche. Basically, don't wear one around your neck in the evenings when out and about with your gap-year NGO friends in the city or you'll get bricks thrown at you by the newly established hipster hunter squad.
Agreed. Also makes me think of kids putting Manchester United sticker jobs on their scooters thinking it makes them more...football?
-insert signature here
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Image Seriously, kramas rock. :beer2:
They have about 100 uses and you can recycle them until they fall to bits.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I fully agree, but a foreigner wearing one for evening drinks definitely looks douchy. For some reason older French dudes seem to pull it off better though. A twenty something girl from Wisconsin and her boyfriend Brad don't.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm
taabarang wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 pm "Prevents jungle rot."

So do crocs.
I stand defeated.
For that special day, I present to you - wedding crocs:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

I wear the neck/face gaiters sometimes when I'm out on the beach, especially on the boat,skin has had a good bit of sun over the years, don't think I'd wear it in a bar, unless it was off the beach :beer1: Those kramas look hot, how thick are they?
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:00 am
hanno wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm
taabarang wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 pm "Prevents jungle rot."

So do crocs.
I stand defeated.
For that special day, I present to you - wedding crocs:

Wonderful!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I like the 3000 riel ones for riding the moto. Either just to keep the sun off my neck or over the face as a dust mask. In Australia I wear a krama on hot days around my neck or waist to mop up sweat. That fat guy in Larry's always looks ridiculous with the krama as does Tim Page.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic