Sideshow - Kissinger, Nixon and The Destruction of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Sideshow - Kissinger, Nixon and The Destruction of Cambo

Post by Soi Dog »

The Add Jay wrote:Nixon was a good president. The media bashed him to no end and STILL to continue to do so. Ever listen to Nixons taps [sic]? Brilliant. His insight and just general views on things is no different then the average hard working man.
I tried to listen to all the Nixon tapes, but it turns out he had many of them erased before the prosecutors could get their hands on them. He worked very hard indeed, especially at filling up his endless, Pol Pot style "enemies lists". And he worked overtime finding new places to drop bombs and toxic chemicals. And the lying and cover-ups. He worked hard at those too.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

The Add Jay wrote:Nixon was a good president. The media bashed him to no end and STILL to continue to do so. Ever listen to Nixons taps? Brilliant. His insight and just general views on things is no different then the average hard working man.

Great article from his speech writer
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/04/opini ... nixon-60s/

For his policies on social issues, housing, health care, Nixon would be viewed as a communist by today's Republican party.
Using Tapatalk
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

The Add Jay wrote:Nixon was a good president. The media bashed him to no end and STILL to continue to do so. Ever listen to Nixons taps? Brilliant. His insight and just general views on things is no different then the average hard working man.

Powerful. Thanks for the article link. The Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda is a great place to visit if you find yourself in SoCal. You can walk through the house Nixon grew up in. I felt sorry for Nixon, I still do. Imagine what a strait-laced America in the 60s would have been like.
regarding Nixon's involvement in Vietnam and Cambodia: once he found himself inheriting the war, he needed to continue fighting it. And remember, Nixon made his career as a communist-hating motherfucker. So, can you see where he'd be kinda stuck with the war? Conclusion: I like (Ike and) Dick.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

JBTrain wrote:

For his policies on social issues, housing, health care, Nixon would be viewed as a communist by today's Republican party.
Interesting. Honest question - how would JFK be viewed by today's dems?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Satiated Parrot wrote:
JBTrain wrote:

He would be unelectable in today's fatherland.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
JBTrain wrote:

He would be a far right wing conspiracy theorist.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Look its simple to defend the bombing of Cambodia. Khmers didnt want to fight....but when it comes to Killing V.C they love it. Ask any Khmer in the countryside about it who lived threw it.

They will tell you point blank: Kill Vietnam Good!

How much support did the US Give Cambodia? and they squandered it. So simply Nixon said...fuck it bomb the roads and countryside...dont hit the urban areas. We need to protect south Vietnam and U.S Troops. And thats what he did...in the most badass fashion.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

The Add Jay wrote:Look its simple to defend the bombing of Cambodia. Khmers didnt want to fight....but when it comes to Killing V.C they love it. Ask any Khmer in the countryside about it who lived threw it.

How much support did the US Give Cambodia? and they squandered it. So simply Nixon said...fuck it bomb the roads and countryside...dont hit the urban areas. We need to protect south Vietnam and U.S Troops. And thats what he did...in the most badass fashion.
I agree, anyone who doesn't enthusiastically collaborate with an imperial power violating their sovereignty deserves to die. :thumb:

Also, it was wrong of the KR to evacuate the city at a barrel of a gun but it was perfectly acceptable for America to drive peasants off their farms by bombing the countryside.
Scarier than malaria.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The Add Jay wrote:Nixon was a good president.
He was a lying, murdering, deceitful scoundrel, so I guess you're right.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

The Add Jay wrote:Look its simple to defend the bombing of Cambodia. Khmers didnt want to fight....but when it comes to Killing V.C they love it. Ask any Khmer in the countryside about it who lived threw it.

It's not that simple. Sihanouk was tired of the US machinations and wanted nothing to do with them, monetary or otherwise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic