If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Post by WildA »

I normally carry a bandana, which serves to shield my large nostrils from dust...and it also serves as a sun hat, snot rag, bandage, sweat mop, gag (for the ladies of course). etc.

Being I am a fat old westerner, am I going to be marked as even a bigger stupid cunt by wearing a krama? Keep in mind that I am not a shorts, flip flops and wife beater wearer, I try to be presentable...
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Nothing wrong with shorts and flip flops (jandals bro), but wearing a krama around your neck will make you look like a hipster, lol, seriously though do whatever makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about what other people think.

Disclaimer: I'm trying to be nice on the Internet, too much negativity around.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Post by frank lee bent »

it looks awful but very practical.
wish i still had one
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tim paige always wears one
I have always not worn one as i feel it makes a Barang look like he is trying to be a local

ON another point, I Have Never understood "snot rags", handkerchiefs. Why someone would wish to blow their nose in a rag and put it in their pocket to save for later is beyond me :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I wear a kroma around my waist to hold small bladed tools when I work in the fields. And no, no local has ever mistaken me for a Cambodian or even trying to be one. They just think that's what you should do.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

They're one step up from fishermans pants. The elephant print design being the hipster version!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

What about those gut necklace things. I've seen a few white boys wearing those. Don't see the point of the krama but I do rock shorts and sandals. My father-in-law wears a string wifebeater and camo shorts. He is a senior member of the navy.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ You mean, a senior member of the senior service.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'll be honest, when I see foreigners (or any race) wearing Japanese specific traditional garb, it really bothers me. I couldn't tell you why though.

On the other hand, it also bothers me when Asians try to act "American", that also bothers me. Again, I couldn't tell you why.

That's why I never wear anything that is "Cambodian".
-insert signature here
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If I had one I'd probably wear it sarong style around the house. Apart from that, nope.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic