Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

phuketrichard wrote:go talk to Ross at choice they work out of the sundance on street 172
already established and am sure you could ad your
campaign to "take bags from glue huffers" to their other charities they run.

MY take ( as unacceptable as you all seem to think it is)

Have a Cambodian with you, provide them a card that has an address with a place they can go an hang out ( huff if they wish) , rest, sleep, get good food an at least be safe. Many of them have no options so give them one so they can improve their life IF that's what you really want, not just getting them out of your sight. Unlike others, i dont feel just cause there kids you have any right ( nor does anyone) to tell them what to do. This is NOT the west

Having been down and out on drugs long ago the last thing i ever would want is someone taking my stash and telling me its not good for me.
The whole "This is not the West" schtick has to have a line in the sand. I agree, this isn't the West and I am not evening forming an opinion on the OP's idea. So I am not defending OP's idea but rather would just like to point out that while Cambodia may not be the West, it is part of the world and the Earth we all share, so at some point, when applied to many different scenarios, we must forget the differences in religion, politics, CULTURE, etc etc and remember that we are all humans. No tree hugger here, but to say that you have no right to tell a kid what to do because it "isn't the West" sounds a bit silly.

They are kids, of course adults are supposed to tell them what to do, who the fuck else is going to guide them in life? Now, I am not advocating forming an NGO lol, but damn, if there isn't a lot of wiggle room between "lets form an NGO to help those glue huffing kids" and " Don't tell them what to do, this isn't the West"

/2cents
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

flying chicken wrote:From my previous line of work:

Poverty and marginalization are global issues and are not limited to development countries alone. Due to differences in history, context, power and culture, poverty and marginalization have different dimensions, impacts and manifestations. Meanwhile, in whatever circumstances, poverty and marginalization limit people to be part of society, to become active citizens, to claim their rights, to change their own circumstances and to contribute towards social change. For us poverty is more than lack of income and financial means. We define poverty as a multi-dimensional phenomenon related to access to basic social services, markets/economies, human rights, self-respect, self-development and autonomy. Poverty is therefore a lack of power of (poor and marginalized) people to acquire the necessary means, knowledge and capital for themselves. Consequently, we therefore look at poverty alleviation as a process to redistribute power and as a process of strengthening capacity and addressing injustices so that people are active, informed and involved in control of their own lives. We think that this requires societal change.
so who wrote this? surely is is not your words unless you have really changed
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LOL, you'd be surprised at the calibre of writing from the commerce students at the University of Otago. But it is not the writing, but it is the thought that count.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Welcome back FC, you were missed.

(This has been reworked well, probably by generations of students, but I'd start looking here for the original, original text:

CHAPTER 2 THE DEFINITIONS OF POVERTY
https://www.google.com.kh/url?sa=t&sour ... _XgLEg16OA )
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

StroppyChops wrote:Welcome back FC, you were missed.

(This has been reworked well, probably by generations of students, but I'd start looking here for the original, original text:

Very, very good read. I am up to page 14 so far. Thanks for sharing.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

StroppyChops wrote:Welcome back FC, you were missed.

You were pushing for his permanent ban a week ago! Make up your mind!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Satiated Parrot wrote:You were pushing for his permanent ban a week ago! Make up your mind!
Can you back that up with a quote SP? From memory I suggested that he be temporarily suspended for the rest of the night each time he'd exceeded his drinking limit, and I stand by this. I specifically asked that he NOT be permabanned, IIRC.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

I seem to recall you were asking for him to be permanently banned. It was around last Sunday. I remember thinking it was odd, based on your other posts. I'll try and find the post later.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Satiated Parrot wrote:I seem to recall you were asking for him to be permanently banned. It was around last Sunday. I remember thinking it was odd, based on your other posts. I'll try and find the post later.
Do that. I think you're wrong, but I'm always open to being called on my crap.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Satiated Parrot wrote:I seem to recall you were asking for him to be permanently banned. It was around last Sunday. I remember thinking it was odd, based on your other posts. I'll try and find the post later.
I believe quite a few of the more offensive posts by FC (on another thread to which you are referring) and their subsequent replies were deleted early on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic