Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Inside Fireworks with a Quadrocopters

Post by StroppyChops »

OD, what would the risk to the 'copter be if it copped a direct hit? Would it be enough to send it into river? Surely, you'd be taking the risk that you're $5000 rig wasn't coming back to you.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

StroppyChops wrote:OD, what would the risk to the 'copter be if it copped a direct hit? Would it be enough to send it into river? Surely, you'd be taking the risk that you're $5000 rig wasn't coming back to you.

They do not need to be that expensive my Parrot A R Drone was only a couple of hundred quid ( $300 )

And in fairness he wasn't in the explosive centre

Fantastic video clip Milord, many thanks

:bow:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

just getting hit by one midair before it goes off would be less of an issue... like getting hit with a baseball. could damage it, but not real likely if it's at all rugged.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

OrangeDragon wrote:yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

just getting hit by one midair before it goes off would be less of an issue... like getting hit with a baseball. could damage it, but not real likely if it's at all rugged.
I am not so sure, it would need to be quite close to the main explosion. I am not sure that camera angle showed that.

The pressure wave would disperse very quickly and there is not much weight in any projectile.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

EdinWigan wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:yep. that's why i'm impressed he was going as close as he was with a few of the fly throughs. one of these going off at point blank range could sever limbs or kill a human with very little problem... to a plastic copter, shattered. granted, the likelihood of a direct hit timed with the detonation is pretty low... but still a considerable risk.

I am not so sure, it would need to be quite close to the main explosion. I am not sure that camera angle showed that.

The pressure wave would disperse very quickly and there is not much weight in any projectile.
Yeah, that's why I said the odds of a direct hit (which is what you would need) were pretty low. It would have to hit at about the same instant it detonates... or hit and "stick" long enough for the detonation to occur.

though a pro firework that's set to spread the star comp 100m is going to have a decent pressure wave still at a few feet out. wouldn't wreck the craft necessarily but might be enough to knock it out of the sky by taking out a plastic prop or an electrical connection.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

(i have a couple of leftovers from my last order... anyone feel like experimenting ;-) )
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

I saw alligator clips in O'Russei market, with black and red rubber boots on them. Electronics section of course.

And what do you think of this quadrocopter? Less than $100! Free delivery to Cambodia!

http://www.dx.com/p/syma-x5c-2-4ghz-4-c ... 7kab2thiSM
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

HotRecruiter wrote:I saw alligator clips in O'Russei market, with black and red rubber boots on them. Electronics section of course.

And what do you think of this quadrocopter? Less than $100! Free delivery to Cambodia!

http://www.dx.com/p/syma-x5c-2-4ghz-4-c ... 7kab2thiSM
Thanks. As for the quad... only if you can wire your own camera in... "2 million pixels" is 2 megapixel... even my phone camera is 13 mp.

Based on that, i wouldn't expect much quality on anything else either... like range and durability.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

100m, only 7 minutes flight time before you have to switch batteries! About $85.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I have the baby of the team the Parrot A R 2.0 Drone

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/media/upload ... _leftg.png
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic