independent travel has become too hip

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: independent travel has become too hip

Post by epidemiks »

OP:

Trinitysmackstain
Expatriate

Post by Trinitysmackstain »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm OP:

Just goto SR expats page, theres travelers looking to buy a second hand mop and bucket FFS even tight arse guide to SR dont stoop that low.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

feminazi expat hypocrite backpackers.
back in the day, you could shoot a cow with an rpg or at least an m-40
now, no one can even afford the cow.
bunch of fisherman pants wearing, dreadlock, man bun, snowflake cucks.
The men are even worse.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:22 pm feminazi expat hypocrite backpackers.
back in the day, you could shoot a cow with an rpg or at least an m-40
now, no one can even afford the cow.
bunch of fisherman pants wearing, dreadlock, man bun, snowflake cucks.
The men are even worse.
:plus1: This would make a great title to a movie - "Return of the Feminazi Expat Hypocrite Backpackers from Hell" - An Englishmen, Australian and American have to shoot their way out of a city full of zombie hipsters, Russian mafia, corrupt NGOs and soul sucking TEFLers whilst battling each other on whose country sucks worse :popcorn:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I dont know why everybody keeps knocking backpackers all the time. In my early days I did a lot of '' backpacking '' , but we were commonly called '' hitchhikers then.

In fact I even started my own backpackers accommodation in the year of 1983 on a farm I had near the beach. It only accommodated 10 people but was one of the most interesting things I have done. I met some really great people and some kept in touch with me for many years .
Yes, I made the sign, and that was before computers had a spelling checker.
Been there,, Done that, and moved on.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm I dont know why everybody keeps knocking backpackers all the time. In my early days I did a lot of '' backpacking '' , but we were commonly called '' hitchhikers then.
Unfortunately the term has become associated with budget travelers usually travelling on their parents dime, when you grew up and even by my time in the late 80s/90s there probably wasn't no where near the amount of young travelers as today. I've traveled and lived in Costa Rica for years, it always amazed me how a bunch of young kids were traveling for 3-6 months at a time, while working class people in the US get their 7 day vacation a year.

I don't own luggage anymore only two backpacks, I bought a backpack specifically for carry on and I can get a lot in there, if I'm doing beach/scuba trip I get my fins(I have travel fins), mask, regulator and wetsuit then fill the rest up, if I need a shirt or something on the way I just buy it, if I can't fit it in on the way back I give it to the locals. I hate to check bags, being older hopefully the backpacker stigma doesn't stick, not that I'd care one way or the other :assasin:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

If you don't go to they places they inhabit, you can generally avoid most pests. Avoid those late night raves, eat in fancy restaurants, that kind of thing.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why do you assume they're travelling on their parents dime?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 pm Why do you assume they're travelling on their parents dime?
Was gonna ask the same! I travelled as a backpacking scuba diver in my twenties on my own dime while working a few months back home every summer, my younger sister in her mid twenties has been backpacking(flashpacking?) for years on her own dime as well, as she's a nurse she can load up on hours then take a few months off. I'm sure there's a few cases though...
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm I dont know why everybody keeps knocking backpackers all the time. In my early days I did a lot of '' backpacking '' , but we were commonly called '' hitchhikers then.

Unfortunately very jelous people in all expat communities and the people on this board staying in western countries and moaning are even sadder.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic