What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.

Oh, don't tell the wife any of this…..
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.

That's kind of funny.

Remedy
Take your fancy French coffee machine to the cafe/coffee shop you enjoy drinking coffee at most and give it to them on the proviso you never have to pay for coffee there again.

You will be doing them and yourself a great service. Kind of the Kofe Anan of cafes.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

Yeah, I so get this!
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
Using Tapatalk
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I agree but i have no say in anything that goes on in my own house. My wife (non Khmer) is also a coffee drinker so she gets what she wants, regardless of what i say or want.

Now if only I could get her to agree to a hooker jar.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

The buffet is pretty good, too, and I had one of the best omelettes I ever tasted there.

http://hagarcatering.com/index.php/hagar-restaurant
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

JBTrain wrote: I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
This sounds great, is there any place that you know using these Lao beans in their espressos?
vladimir wrote:Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

The buffet is pretty good, too, and I had one of the best omelettes I ever tasted there.

Boncafe doesn't do it for me, but I did slip into the Tin Tin Hotel on 51 for one this morning, coffee okayish, but really overpriced for Boncafe at $2.50, some great eye-candy. There were 3 customers and I counted 12 staff milling around - there were quite likely a few more than I could't see.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i bet the illy is a long time off the roaster.

do they quench the Lao beans with lard at the end of roast? or is that one of those urban myths?

the mondulkiri guys seem clueless- advancing the opinion that robusta is superior to arabica.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm a coffee snob, but seriously, the Khmer iced coffee (not with milk) is some of the best I've had. Not that fake syrup some of them use, but the pressed stuff our regular girl uses is truly good.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Joker Poker wrote:
JBTrain wrote: I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
This sounds great, is there any place that you know using these Lao beans in their espressos?
vladimir wrote:Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

Boncafe doesn't do it for me, but I did slip into the Tin Tin Hotel on 51 for one this morning, coffee okayish, but really overpriced for Boncafe at $2.50, some great eye-candy. There were 3 customers and I counted 12 staff milling around - there were quite likely a few more than I could't see.
The Shop used to, which is how I knew to look for the beans, not sure if they still do. I'm guessing the Three Corner Roasters coffees are being used as fresh roasted beans are available and it's politically correct to use the local Cambodian product.
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic