Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I think the Cambodian government way to deal with them was copied from the Kenny Everett show.
Round them up, put them in a field, and bomb the bastards.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go talk to Ross at choice they work out of the sundance on street 172
already established and am sure you could ad your
campaign to "take bags from glue huffers" to their other charities they run.

MY take ( as unacceptable as you all seem to think it is)

Have a Cambodian with you, provide them a card that has an address with a place they can go an hang out ( huff if they wish) , rest, sleep, get good food an at least be safe. Many of them have no options so give them one so they can improve their life IF that's what you really want, not just getting them out of your sight. Unlike others, i dont feel just cause there kids you have any right ( nor does anyone) to tell them what to do. This is NOT the west

Having been down and out on drugs long ago the last thing i ever would want is someone taking my stash and telling me its not good for me.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

phuketrichard wrote:... a place they can go an hang out ( huff if they wish) , rest, sleep, get good food an at least be safe...
Where would that be?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

LTO wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:... a place they can go an hang out ( huff if they wish) , rest, sleep, get good food an at least be safe...
Where would that be?
Away from my place, please. Far away.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

A vest of some kind with a pic of a glue bag on with a slash and some writing in Khmer and English would do fine to identify and announce what's being done.

Re anyone who assumes that someone so identified is a pedophile, their assumptions be damned. They should be accorded no notice or importance. To treat such an hysterical and narcissistic assumption as real in any way is to promote self-gratifying fantasy at the expense of these children and at the expense of children and ordinary adults in general.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Otis wrote:A vest of some kind with a pic of a glue bag on with a slash and some writing in Khmer and English would do fine to identify and announce what's being done.

Re anyone who assumes that someone so identified is a pedophile, their assumptions be damned. They should be accorded no notice or importance. To treat such an hysterical and narcissistic assumption as real in any way is to promote self-gratifying fantasy at the expense of these children and at the expense of children and ordinary adults in general.
Right, then. Carry on. What could possibly go wrong? After all...you'll have vests and everything.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LTO wrote:
Where would that be?
That's what you all will be providing :plus1:

same as they have for junkies in Canada an Switzerland where they go and shoot up without being hassled they are also giving free clean needles
so u all could provide new bags
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Otis wrote:A vest of some kind with a pic of a glue bag on with a slash and some writing in Khmer and English would do fine to identify and announce what's being done.

Sounding less reality based with each post.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

From my previous line of work:

Poverty and marginalization are global issues and are not limited to development countries alone. Due to differences in history, context, power and culture, poverty and marginalization have different dimensions, impacts and manifestations. Meanwhile, in whatever circumstances, poverty and marginalization limit people to be part of society, to become active citizens, to claim their rights, to change their own circumstances and to contribute towards social change. For us poverty is more than lack of income and financial means. We define poverty as a multi-dimensional phenomenon related to access to basic social services, markets/economies, human rights, self-respect, self-development and autonomy. Poverty is therefore a lack of power of (poor and marginalized) people to acquire the necessary means, knowledge and capital for themselves. Consequently, we therefore look at poverty alleviation as a process to redistribute power and as a process of strengthening capacity and addressing injustices so that people are active, informed and involved in control of their own lives. We think that this requires societal change.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

flying chicken wrote:From my previous line of work:

Poverty and marginalization are global issues and are not limited to development countries alone. Due to differences in history, context, power and culture, poverty and marginalization have different dimensions, impacts and manifestations. Meanwhile, in whatever circumstances, poverty and marginalization limit people to be part of society, to become active citizens, to claim their rights, to change their own circumstances and to contribute towards social change. For us poverty is more than lack of income and financial means. We define poverty as a multi-dimensional phenomenon related to access to basic social services, markets/economies, human rights, self-respect, self-development and autonomy. Poverty is therefore a lack of power of (poor and marginalized) people to acquire the necessary means, knowledge and capital for themselves. Consequently, we therefore look at poverty alleviation as a process to redistribute power and as a process of strengthening capacity and addressing injustices so that people are active, informed and involved in control of their own lives. We think that this requires societal change.
What a strong and powerful post, to mark your return. Welcome back Mr Chicken, good to see you back in the debate.

I agree that it it not about wealth but in equality. The gap between those who have most and those who do not. I think at some point we could all do with reading or re-reading The Spirit Level (Wilkinson & Pickett) There is never a single cure all for the problems of society but equality is a great place to begin.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic