Murder on Street 132.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Murder on Street 132.

Post by Raybull »

willyhilly wrote:Poor girl and poor family, no doubt he will never be caught.
Never say never!
Rama
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Murder on Street 132.

Post by Rama »

Usually, and in a very high percentage of 'everyday' murder cases, the perp is very, very quickly caught. So much so actually that the unbelievably high success crime solving rate self-reported by the police every year may actually not be too far from the truth. I'd guess it has something to do with most murders, and many other types of crime, being unplanned and/or ill thought through by the criminal who commits them. The link between the victim and the murderer or criminal is often so close, the motive so clear, and in most cases, the evidence overwhelming, that (fortunately for the police) it takes very little investigative skill to crack the case.

Same is probably true in the Kem Ley case. The link between the murderer and the victim is probably so clear and so obvious, and the evidence so overwhelming, that the motive and those behind the murder should have been revealed within days.
Only difference being that those involved are connected, and the police are therefore afraid/unable to reveal the truth.
boomer
Tourist

Post by boomer »

Raybull wrote:
Never say never!

He's caught!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: RE: Re: Murder on Street 132.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Rama wrote:
Usually, and in a very high percentage of 'everyday' murder cases, the perp is very, very quickly caught. So much so actually that the unbelievably high success crime solving rate self-reported by the police every year may actually not be too far from the truth. I'd guess it has something to do with most murders, and many other types of crime, being unplanned and/or ill thought through by the criminal who commits them. The link between the victim and the murderer or criminal is often so close, the motive so clear, and in most cases, the evidence overwhelming, that (fortunately for the police) it takes very little investigative skill to crack the case.
Totally agree with this. Once the victim has been identified, the criminal is usually known to the victim, so it's not too complicated to work out who did it. The crimes are usually impulsive and not thought out. In this case the suspect was captured on CCTV even though they didn't have his identity - and he was her (or one of her) boyfriend (s) - since 2014 if reports are correct.
This thoughtless impulsive violence is really sad. I don't know if they were taking drugs, but seems possible.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Suspect arrested in Phnom Penh guesthouse murder

Mon, 31 October 2016
Kim Sarom

A 22-year-old man was arrested on Saturday in connection to the murder of his Prey Veng girlfriend, who was found strangled in a Phnom Penh guesthouse last Monday, police said.

full-story....http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/s ... use-murder
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

So, he was a convicted thief, just released from prison:
Under questioning, Mr. Sopheak confessed to killing his ex-girlfriend over “jealousy,” and admitted to taking her jewelry and phone, according to Mr. Vannak.

The suspect, who had previously been convicted of theft, was released from Prey Sar prison less than a month ago, he said.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/brief/ex- ... er-119951/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man tells court he strangled girlfriend
Fri, 17 March 2017

A man confessed yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to having strangled his girlfriend out of jealousy. Chan Sopheak was arrested on October 29, five days after the body of karaoke hostess Ang Vanna, 22, was found in a guesthouse room in Daun Penh district’s Srass Chak commune.

Sopheak, 38, told the judge yesterday that he strangled Vanna out of jealousy, as she was seeing another man.

“I told her a few times that I would kill her if she betrayed me,” Sopheak said. He said that while they were in the guesthouse, he caught Vanna chatting with her new boyfriend, which enraged him.

“A man called her by Facebook chat. She talked to him, which irritated me. She then asked me to break up. I stood in front of her [and] strangled her to death in just a short time,” he said. He denied that he had planned the killing, however, claiming that he had just warned her so that she would stop contacting others...
Verdict due March 28.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... girlfriend

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »