Cambodia's Prime Minister Makes Plan to Help the Disabled

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Cambodia's Prime Minister Makes Plan to Help the Disabled

Post by General Mackevili »

He's a good guy. Always looking out for the disadvantaged here in the Kingdom. I bet it will be complete in 2 years.

PHNOM PENH, July 3 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian Prime Minister HE on Thursday launched a five-year national disability strategic plan (2014-2018) with an aim to improve the living standard and to promote the rights of the persons with disabilities.

"The strategic plan, consisting of ten goals, is the necessary foundation and backbone to uplift the situation of disabled persons in Cambodia," the prime minister said at the launching ceremony, which was attended by about 3,000 persons with disabilities.

He said the goals include poverty reduction, equitable healthcare, judicial service, elimination of discrimination, education, freedom of expression, participation in politics, public transport and communication means, assurance of gender equity, and strengthening and expansion of international cooperation for disabled persons.

"This plan outlines a vision to enhance the life quality of persons with disabilities and their families and enable them to participate on an equal footing in society," he said. "I am strongly convinced that this plan is a dynamic policy tool helping address disability issues."

Vong Sauth, minister of social affairs, veterans and youth rehabilitation, said the country has about 301,629 persons with disabilities, equivalent to 2.06 percent of the total population of 14.67 million.

"Disability in Cambodia is a challenge that needs strong attention, as it causes loss to the national budget, impacts on the socio-economic position and the livelihood of people," he said.

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/ar ... ?id=227839
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Cambodia's Prime Minister Makes Plan to Help the Disable

Post by vladimir »

I hope I'm eligible under the financially disabled umbrella.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I wonder if Expats Qualify for Mental Disability ??? :lol:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:I hope I'm eligible under the financially disabled umbrella.
Picked up a new umbrella at TTP Market for $3, if you're struggling with your disabled one you can have mine.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Found
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I'm sure they'll get a free bus/truck ride out of PP to a facility, not of their liking. :whip:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

taranis wrote:It will be interesting what actually comes out of this, cant see the disabled being given much, maybe I am just being negative?
Are you a Sam Rainsy supporter? U no good! We have traffic lights now! So negative! :lol:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:He's a good guy. Always looking out for the disadvantaged here in the Kingdom. I bet it will be complete in 2 years.
[quote
He said the goals include poverty reduction, equitable healthcare, judicial service, elimination of discrimination, education, freedom of expression, participation in politics, public transport and communication means, assurance of gender equity, and strengthening and expansion of international cooperation for disabled persons.
[/quote]

Not sure which of these laudable aims is the most outstanding - however, "equitable healthcare" seems to be in place already, justice for all as well, but what is "public transport"?

Lol, and the able-bodied will soon be demanding the same rights...
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Actually its the law for every company to employ a number of disabled people. I'm not sure of the exact number but I think its 2 or 3% of the workforce have to be people with disabilities. Unfortunately, the law wasn't very well thought though and its never been enforced.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:Actually its the law for every company to employ a number of disabled people. I'm not sure of the exact number but I think its 2 or 3% of the workforce have to be people with disabilities. Unfortunately, the law wasn't very well thought though and its never been enforced.
Cambodia actually has quite a progressive labour law.

Now all they need to do is enforce it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic