Former Cambodian Child Sex Slave Recounts Her Story Of When Her Virginity Was Sold to an American Expat (VIDEO)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Otis
Expatriate

Re: Former Cambodian Child Sex Slave Recounts Her Story Of When Her Virginity Was Sold to an American Expat (VIDEO)

Post by Otis »

Is the hidden camera footage at about 5:25 also about 15 years old? Is the info about child sex traffickers luring near a school near the compound referred to also about 15 years old?
Otis
Expatriate

Re: Former Cambodian Child Sex Slave Recounts Her Story Of When Her Virginity Was Sold to an American Expat (VIDEO)

Post by Otis »

At 6:57 there is a religious service. Does the NGO Agape International Missions seek to convert girls in whose rescue it becomes involved to Christianity? Does it proselytize Cambodians in general? What about those rescued who are quite happy with the competing local brand of indigenous mumbo-jumbo?

agape international missions :plus1:
http://agapewebsite.org/what-we-do/

"...our reliance on Jesus Christ and partnership with His Church and His people have been the hammer breaking through impossible obstacles. Daily, we see miracles taking place before our eyes."

What's the ration of social work to holy-rollerismo?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The AGAPE HQ is in Svay Pak village, there has always been a Christian community (and church) there (many Vietnamese are Christians).
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Otis
Expatriate

Re: Former Cambodian ent trheyChild Sex Slave Recounts Her Story Of When Her Virginity Was Sold to an American Expat (VI

Post by Otis »

many Vietnamese are Christians

Aren't they generally Catholics, a holdover from the Dien Bien Fou crew?
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

She even has a car and a lapdog, and apparently enjoying the California lifestyle, with Ice cream and all that.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Former Cambodian ent trheyChild Sex Slave Recounts Her Story Of When Her Virginity Was Sold to an American Expat (VI

Post by John Bingham »

Otis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 pm many Vietnamese are Christians

Aren't they generally Catholics, a holdover from the Dien Bien Fou crew?
I probably meant Catholics, I don't make distinctions between different denominations when I'm being general.
I'm not sure what connection it has with Dien Bien Phu. Long before that Christian missionaries were far more successful getting converts in the hill-tribe areas of Vietnam, Burma and Cambodia than they ever were on the plains. Despite many efforts to set up churches in Cambodia by successive Portuguese, Spanish and eventually French missions, there was little interest among the populace.
In contrast to this, a lot of Vietnamese converted to Catholicism, including many who came to Cambodia to work with the French administration.
Ngô Đình Diệm was one of the more prominent Vietnamese Catholics. He persecuted Buddhists leading to some protests and his eventual assassination.

Protest against Diem's persecution of Buddhists.

There do seem to be a lot of Born-Again Christian groups and other sects working in the kingdom these days. The 1980s border camps were good recruiting grounds for new converts, even Duch out of S21 got himself reborn with Jesus and was working with a humanitarian NGO (American Refugee Committee) when he was discovered and arrested in 1999.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

My mention of Dien Bien Phu was a wise ass reference to the fact that Catholicism was a hangover from the French Colonial period in Vietnam. I raised the Catholic issue because there is generally much competition and little fellow-feeling between Catholic Church missionaries and the Protestant Fundamentalist types Like Agape.

I find it troubling that 15 year old film footage is repeatedly used in that segment. any minimally respectable they voluntary of f if so a journalist would have asked that guy about current child sex problems in that area, if any. And if current rescue efforts are directed towards adult boom boom girls rather than children and if they are voluntary or forced, in concert with the police. And requested that element That journalists find conspicuously absent from Modern Trumpism, evidence.

It is fundamentally corrupt to go among impoverished people and offer help while announcing that one of your core beliefs is that they cannot be legitimate human beings if they do not accept Christ as a personal savior. This is fundamentalism wagging the dog of altruism. I believe this is never legitimate, That said, yes someone providing real assistance who is in some way corrupt it's better than no assistance at all. Unfortunately I have run into situations where little assistance is offered alongside much intrusive hooey directed both at clients and staff.
The_Notorious_N.E.D.
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by The_Notorious_N.E.D. »

Horrifying, to say the least. I think we can all agree on that.

An American expat? Shameful. As an American, I'm ashamed that I share the same nationality with whoever the vile and loathsome monster was who did this. A US Marine, no less? Shame, shame, shame.

... Now, I don't mean to pry, I don't want to judge, but can I just ask ...

Who was it, precisely, who sold her to the American? Because in any transaction with a buyer, there has to be a seller. I don't think even the most entreprenurial 7 year old would take the initiative to earn some scratch quite this far.

The wording being used regarding the situation is all passive. She was sold, but it doesn't say by whom. The headline mentions the buyer, but not the sellers. That - to me - is problematic.

Who does that leave? Her family, presumably and whatever pimps they sold her to, who are her neighbors and members of the same community, essentially.

Why are they being written out of the narrative given that they are obviously at least half the problem in these scenarios? I know they are poor and ignorant. That doesn't fucking excuse selling your children into sexual slavery. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't. I don't care how hard you've got it. If you're willing to sell your kid into sex slavery at age 7, then the shitty life you're leading is a rare bit of justice in this world, and you don't even deserve to have even a shitty life, really. What's lower than a monstrous predatory pedophile? People who aren't pedophiles who are willing to sell their own children, or any children whatsoever, into sexual slavery. For some money, and not all that much of it at the end of the day. That is arguably worse on a number of levels, if anybody feels like keeping score.

Sorry to rant, but watching that video and listening to all of the grammatical contortions and the complete and total omission of any attribution of agency or guilt to anyone on the Cambodian side of things was just too much for me. If they want to solve these problems then the full measure of blame needs to be apportioned to the people in the victim's families and communities that are accomplices to these acts. Without them, these outrages simply would not be taking place for the most part.

PS: Yes, I realize that she was going to "confront the woman who sold her," etcetera, but unless I missed something, did they even bother to explain who this woman was? How it came to be that she had this girl under her authority or what their relationship was exactly? I mean, come on. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but what the fuck.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"... watching that video and listening to all of the grammatical contortions and the complete and total omission of any attribution of agency or guilt to anyone on the Cambodian side of things was just too much for me. If they want to solve these problems then the full measure of blame needs to be apportioned to the people in the victim's families and communities that are accomplices to these acts. Without them, these outrages simply would not be taking place for the most part."

The outrage business depends on simplicity and punchy presentation. Hence the omission you point out which would unacceptably complicate the narrative and the use of a 15 year old story with evidence of similar age to imply coverage of a current matter.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

It hurts the NGOs bottom line to disclose that much info
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic