My Street This Afternoon (Phnom Penh's Flash Flood)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Re: My Street This Afternoon (Phnom Penh's Flash Flood)

Post by HotRecruiter »

They're probably used to it. Some have died, some get sick, but the survivors (and fathers and mothers) continue and pass on their immunities...medicine 101...locals have a few advantages...
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Nah, they get sick just like the rest of us, especially stomach ailments (some serious) and eye infections. Parents do not pass on immunity to specific diseases to their offspring.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

HotRecruiter wrote:They're probably used to it. Some have died, some get sick, but the survivors (and fathers and mothers) continue and pass on their immunities...medicine 101...locals have a few advantages...
This is a major myth...locals are used to eating pure shit from the sewer, etc. Talk to any doctor - locals are ill all the time from infections, dysentery, diseases...

Building up alleged "immunity" through constant exposure only works so far...i.e. not far at all...much more critical is your overall health and the strength of your immunity system in general...achieved by eating well and exercising, etc...drinking less than 20 units of booze, 3 packets of cigs daily...

and wearing your helmet 24/7...which would have kept you afloat during the recent flooding!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Not a myth. The weak get sick and die, they don't get to breed.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

HotRecruiter wrote:Not a myth. The weak get sick and die, they don't get to breed.
HR, that's what Dagenham was saying.
. . . more critical is your overall health and the strength of your immunity system in general...achieved by eating well and exercising, etc. . . .
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

HotRecruiter wrote:Not a myth. The weak get sick and die, they don't get to breed.
Irrelevant. Parents do not pass on specific immunities to their offspring.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Breast feeding immediately after birth does pass on certain immunities in the colostrum (one if the joys of being a mammal) bit eating fecal matter is not something you can develop an immunity for - the two issues are unrelated.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:Breast feeding immediately after birth does pass on certain immunities in the colostrum (one if the joys of being a mammal) bit eating fecal matter is not something you can develop an immunity for - the two issues are unrelated.
I'm almost immune to drinking Nappy Valley whines now.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:Breast feeding immediately after birth does pass on certain immunities in the colostrum (one if the joys of being a mammal) bit eating fecal matter is not something you can develop an immunity for - the two issues are unrelated.
Nor can (most) people develop a fond taste for eating fecal matter either...although I'm sure it has happened...a "hot lunch" maybe?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The theater nurse who is staying with us at the moment just confirmed that you're born with 100% immunities from your mother and these are maintained while being breast fed - after that, it's inoculations.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic