Sihanoukville cops get greedy: $500 fine for foreigner.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville cops get greedy: $500 fine for foreigner.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:57 pm
kgbagent wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:53 pm From World Nomads Australia
For motorised vehicles:
not wearing a helmet where one would be required in Australia, regardless of the local laws; and
operating any motorised vehicle without a valid licence for the same class of vehicle or watercraft in Australia and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling; or
riding as a passenger in or on any motorised vehicle or watercraft where you know or you should know your driver does not have a valid licence in their country of residence and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling.
As a passenger in Cambodia, can you be sure that the driver of your transport - motodop, tuktuk, minivan, bus, boat - has a valid Cambodian drivers/boat licence ? Of course you can't. Did you ever think to ask if your bus driver has a valid drivers licence before you get on the bus? :shock: Be truthful. No of course not.

Does insurance cover you anyway ? Don't know. Never thought about this before, but the insurance wording is troubling.
tbh i think
where you know or you should know your driver
is pretty clear, in stating that if its someone you are friends or acquainted with, then you should make sure they have a license before riding on or with them

i think this is pretty clear that it doesnt count for public transportation, as thats the companies responsibility not yours
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:57 pm
kgbagent wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:53 pm From World Nomads Australia
For motorised vehicles:
not wearing a helmet where one would be required in Australia, regardless of the local laws; and
operating any motorised vehicle without a valid licence for the same class of vehicle or watercraft in Australia and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling; or
riding as a passenger in or on any motorised vehicle or watercraft where you know or you should know your driver does not have a valid licence in their country of residence and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling.
As a passenger in Cambodia, can you be sure that the driver of your transport - motodop, tuktuk, minivan, bus, boat - has a valid Cambodian drivers/boat licence ? Of course you can't. Did you ever think to ask if your bus driver has a valid drivers licence before you get on the bus? :shock: Be truthful. No of course not.

Does insurance cover you anyway ? Don't know. Never thought about this before, but the insurance wording is troubling.
tbh i think
where you know or you should know your driver
is pretty clear, in stating that if its someone you are friends or acquainted with, then you should make sure they have a license before riding on or with them

i think this is pretty clear that it doesnt count for public transportation, as thats the companies responsibility not yours
OR...
where you know or you should know your driver does not have a valid licence
Thats how I read it. :geek:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

There's a bit more to this story. I have it straight from the horses' mouth.
There were drugs involved and the $500 was paid to avoid prosecution.
Obviously yes the cops were wrong for not pursuing correct channels but this was far from a regular traffic stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 pm There's a bit more to this story. I have it straight from the horses' mouth.
Obviously yes the cops were wrong for not pursuing correct channels but this was far from a regular traffic stop.

:thumb: So 250$ for the drugs and 250$ for that awful beard. Seems about right.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Exactly

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 pm There's a bit more to this story. I have it straight from the horses' mouth.

Now I'm confused. Are you saying it wasn't from a standard stop and search? That the cops had been tipped off?

As HotDigger posted, I know that they have been pulling this around the beach area for at least 2 plus years. Someone I know was randomly searched on their way to Samudera in the morning. They found a couple of grams of weed on him and tried for 500. If they don't find anything, they won't charge you - it's not quite like Laos here yet.

Also, they have always done random stop and searches of vehicles for many years. Some one I know got stopped and searched about 14 years ago. Found 3 k of ganj in the boot. Did a couple of years iirc.

I got stopped in PP last year - wrong way down a one-way st- didn't want to pay the fine and told them I had only 3000R. One of the cops pointed at the other pocket and said; "what about this pocket then?". I forgot I had just purchased a $10 bag and half pulled it out of my pocket. The young cop was jumping up and down. The two older cops just gave him a weary look and took $3 I had been hiding and let me on my way. Lucky huh? Fuck trying that in SNVL though.

EDIT, Just read the OP again and realize what you're saying now. Slighty dif from the OP :D
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic