Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by LTO »

I wonder whether it would actually lead to less glue use amongst the individual street children or just force them to beg more (or whatever they do to make coin) in order to go buy more glue. Would it reduce harm or would it increase risk by forcing them to step up their begging (or whatever) activities, while not actually reducing drug use?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

These glue kid don't beg much or at least not very effectively. They are to far gone to have the needed social skills to do so.

Further, doing nothing is the worst possible solution that has now yielded the worst possible result. Go and look.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

There are certainly a lot of them!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Otis wrote:These glue kid don't beg much or at least not very effectively. They are to far gone to have the needed social skills to do so.
As I said, "or whatever they do to make coin."
Otis wrote:Further, doing nothing is the worst possible solution that has now yielded the worst possible result. Go and look.
Disagree. Doing something is not always better than doing nothing. Witness the effects of orphanage voluntourism. Depends on what you do.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"Doing something is not always better than doing nothing. Witness the effects of orphanage voluntourism. Depends on what you do."

There is no downside to grabbing away the glue bags from the kids. Doing nothing is the equivalent of handing the glue bags TO the kids.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

You may very well be right, but that is the question. Is there possibly a downside? As I said, "Would it reduce harm or would it increase risk by forcing them to step up their begging (or whatever) activities, while not actually reducing drug use?"
Otis wrote:Doing nothing is the equivalent of handing the glue bags TO the kids.
No it isn't. Doing nothing is no more equivalent to giving the kids glue than not volunteering at orphanages is equivalent to making kids into orphans.
LTO Cambodia Blog

Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Your suggestion here? Stroppy's suggestion here h?

The ears of the world await.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I used to be a glue sniffer in the 70's, but nowadays I just find it rather tacky.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I used to be a glue sniffer in the 70's, but nowadays I just find it rather tacky.
Do u recall the popping sound in ur head?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Otis wrote:Your suggestion here? Stroppy's suggestion here h?

The ears of the world await.
I suggest that you go be the change you want to see in the world. You strike me as a guy that cares enough about these very real issues to want to see a better life for these kids, respect. Get something off the ground and I'll come and do it with you. How about organising a food drop, a female chaperone, and some basic medical supplies and we go and do an exchange program some nights?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic