The Spot

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

The Spot

Post by Hotdigr »

Name - The Spot Chillout Lounge and Restaurant.
Address - Right at the very end of Kandal st, Occheuteal. go past Golden Lion Plaza for about 3 kms, don't turn anywhere until about 200mts before you hit the beach, then turn left.
Phone - 0974 696 958
Open 1pm - 11pm at least
Cuisine - Russian/Uzbekhi. So basically beef, lamb and potatoes! And all the beef and lamb is Australian exported.

Disclaimer - Yes, this is the place I manage, but the review is from Iain Donnelly, who came to eat tonight and seemed quite happy with the food, to say the least. Come on down and give us a try.While the World Cup is still going on, I will give any poster on this forum a free drink of their choice (except, unfortunately, beer) and that includes ALL the top shelf! After the World Cup has finished, we are going to a non alcoholic service bar, but BYO is fine and no corkage or other bullshit charges.Also, the night of the World Cup finals, we will be basically giving away our alcohol stock so as to run the bar out. $1 all alcoholic drinks (doesn't include mixers) and again, its all top shelf, no cheap shit here! And heaps of free drinks throughout the night.So come down and watch the final on our projector screen and get pissed VERY, VERY cheaply! :beer3: :beer1:
Anyway, here's Iains review, as written on the "Drinking and Dining in Sihanoukville" FB page and soon to be in "The Advisor" magazine.

Having heard a few enthusiastic whispers about new eatery 'The Spot' (round about where Occhuteal Beach meets Otres Beach - on the road past the Gendarmerie), I decided to make the trip along to see if the whispers were worth increasing to a shout. And boy, I'm glad I made the trip.
Already popular among the Russian ex-pats, this could be one of the best new restaurants in Sihanoukville this year.
Owned and run by a Dubai/Russian couple and with an Uzbekhi chef (and an Aussie bartender; tres cosmopolitan) this could soon be full every night. The chef has an immaculate pedigree and has spent the last few years as a private chef to an oligarch in Dubai, but has come to Cambodia to help what is his sort of godson (In an Uzbekhi style)
The food is a little pricier than many venues, which may put some of the kun leow crowd off, but damn is it worth the extra spend.
I was lucky enough to sample a few of the main dishes and was blown away by the quality of the food and the cooking.
High points to look out for; 'Samsas' - a sort of Uzbekhi pasty with beef, onion and other vegetables inside, and served with a tomato dipping sauce.
'Kazakh Kebab' - quite simply some of the best cooked lamb I have tasted, served with the most amazing roast potatoes (cooked in lamb fat). This dish is streets ahead of any local competitors.
'Beef Stroganoff' - always been a favourite dish, so they had high standards to beat, and by god, they did it. By a country mile the tastiest and best cooked stroganoff I have ever had. The beef melts on your tongue (literally; I let it) and served with an utterly sublime mashed potato pancake that compliments the stroganoff perfectly.
Lots of other dishes on the menu (and Kar will make vegetarian versions of most items) including Plov, Eggplant Caviar, Jarkoe, and amazing Uzbekhi homemade bread. Apparently the stroganoff and the eggplant caviar will both be available in local supermarkets soon and are sure to be big sellers.
The ambience is delightful, the staff and owners friendly and welcoming, and the music at the great level of non-intrusive volume.
My only criticism is that the plan to go to BYOB in the coming weeks; great if there's a min-mart opposite, but may be a hassle for those coming from town. But given there will be a huge mocktail list, and some of the best coffee in SHV (trained barista who will be offering peppermint mocha in his range) maybe a night off the alcohol isn't such a bad thing (yes, I did say that)
Without a doubt, there's a new contender on the scene...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: The Spot

Post by StroppyChops »

Great review, curious about the switch to BYO?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Owners are Islamic mate and feel it isn't right to profit from alcohol sales any more.Same reason you won't find pork or bacon or ham on the menu. I was (am) skeptical, but hey, it is definitely going to make us different down here and in reality, that's what's needed to stand out from the crowd in S/ville. We are going for the now emerging family market and so far it seems to be working. Without divulging to much, our current ratio of food to alcohol turnover is 83% food and 17% drinks. And we currently have a turnover that a lot of other places here would envy. As I said, I'm skeptical, but...I'm also open-minded at this point.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Skeptical? I think Uzbek food eeees niiiiiice....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Hotdigr wrote:Owners are Islamic mate and feel it isn't right to profit from alcohol sales any more.
Fair call, good to see them putting their belief into action. Hope they've picked their time and market, though.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

I hope so too mate! But I honestly am getting more confident day by day. Things are going a lot better then we expected, at this point in our business plan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic