DUI / Drink Driving sentencing in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: DUI / Drink Driving sentencing in Cambodia

Post by SinnSisamouth »

maybe the op is just doing some research for his work/study?

u do know that people in the west bribe (using cash,influence or gifts) their way out of prison/courts for all sorts of crimes?
its not like asia invented it its just out in the open and blatant

i bet most expats have paid a "fine" to someone to get things done quicker or because the paperwork was not correct.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The law is still in flux as the boss man keeps tinkering with it to win the election. Last I heard there is no longer prison on your first offence, no matter how smashed you are when pinched, and the fines have been tweaked. You'll still get chokey in serious offences like running someone over. We are still waiting for the updated prakas.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

all the seniors in here knows that prakas is as worthless as toilet paper
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
danielsan1971
Tourist

Post by danielsan1971 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
danielsan1971 wrote:Hi guys. Firstly, I'm not expat, but have joined here to ask this question. I thought expats would be the ideal folk to get the low-down from. I can't find this information reliable by googling, so can you help?

What is Cambodian sentencing like for drink driving/DUI?

I'm aware of fines being in place, but what is the situation if there are fatalities are involved? Prison? etc?

Do the police treat 'locals' and 'foreigners' differently with incidents of DUI?

Any other information about Cambodian DUI law from the perspective of residents would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy your Khymer days.

Regards

Dan (England/UK)'
I'm interested to know why you're even asking? It's as if you're planning on coming here purely because drink driving is illegal where you're from . Please don't, there's enough fucking idiots/killers on the roads as it is... I despise people who think it's ok to get fucked up and operate a motor vehicle on the roads, no regards for anyone else!

Lol. Nothing like that at all. No current travel plans. I was asked a question by someone (yep, random!) and thought I'd better find the real answer. Thanks all for the info. Dan
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It depends a lot on your position. There have been countless cases of well-connected individuals/ officials have gotten away with drink-driving accidents and deaths.
Here's a recent one:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/prob ... sh-118619/

Here's one who was charged (note the light fines/ sentences):

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/30864/ ... three-die/

Here's an older, more notorious case:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/h ... it-and-run
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ava10
Tourist
United States of America

Post by ava10 »

danielsan1971 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:32 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote:
danielsan1971 wrote:Hi guys. Firstly, I'm not expat, but have joined here to ask this question. I thought expats would be the ideal folk to get the low-down from. I can't find this information reliable by googling, so can you help?

What is Cambodian sentencing like for drink driving/DUI online dwi Texas classes ?

I'm aware of fines being in place, but what is the situation if there are fatalities are involved? Prison? etc?

Do the police treat 'locals' and 'foreigners' differently with incidents of DUI?

Any other information about Cambodian DUI law from the perspective of residents would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy your Khymer days.

Regards

Dan (England/UK)'
I'm interested to know why you're even asking? It's as if you're planning on coming here purely because drink driving is illegal where you're from . Please don't, there's enough fucking idiots/killers on the roads as it is... I despise people who think it's ok to get fucked up and operate a motor vehicle on the roads, no regards for anyone else!

Lol. Nothing like that at all. No current travel plans. I was asked a question by someone (yep, random!) and thought I'd better find the real answer. Thanks all for the info. Dan
Hi
All 50 states have now set .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC) as the legal limit for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWI). ... DUI attorneys and DWI lawyers are highly trained in the DUI and DWI laws of your state, and often they can lessen your fines or penalties.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ava10 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 pm Hi
All 50 states have now set .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC) as the legal limit for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWI). ... DUI attorneys and DWI lawyers are highly trained in the DUI and DWI laws of your state, and often they can lessen your fines or penalties.
But we don't have states we have provinces, and there are twenty five which includes Phnom Penh as the twenty fifth. The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is ) 0.05% :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic