Explain a barfine please?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Explain a barfine please?

Post by FreeSocrates! »

IMO, it's better for everyone. You actually have to get to know the girl in Shanghi.

But that is more of a husband hunting place I think. I'd like to hear from dudes that marry girls from Shanghi; I have no evidence but I have a feeling more long term relationships happen there.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
I have no evidence but I have a feeling more long term relationships happen there.
You've given me homework. I'll have to try and swing one..
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I just want to make it clear, I'm not judging these people (bar owners etc), I just think we should call a spade a spade.

The acid test is: would you like your mother to sit in your bar/establishment, talk to the girls, know what goes on, and could you still be proud of it?

If it's just a bar, no problem by most people's standards. Anything more, that's up to your family's standards, I guess.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

vladimir wrote:I just want to make it clear, I'm not judging these people (bar owners etc), I just think we should call a spade a spade.

The acid test is: would you like your mother to sit in your bar/establishment, talk to the girls, know what goes on, and could you still be proud of it?

If it's just a bar, no problem by most people's standards. Anything more, that's up to your family's standards, I guess.
As I get older I think of this now; (I mean when I'm considering someone "long term").

I suppose there is alot my mother doesn't know about me or what I've done. Probably better that way.

I hope if I do get married, I'd find someone she'd like.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

WTF? Now we have to take our moms to work in order to decide if we have a good job or not?

I'll sit this round out.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

General Mackevili wrote:WTF? Now we have to take our moms to work in order to decide if we have a good job or not?
So what does a girly bar owner do on "take your daughter to work day" then?
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

vladimir wrote:I just want to make it clear, I'm not judging these people (bar owners etc), I just think we should call a spade a spade.
But don't conflate them with shovels! There are quite a few brothels in PP and used to be a lot more. The 5000 Riel ones along 76 street and the $3 ones down 63 street. Their purpose is unquestionable. There were/are bars that are effectively brothels for example Circee and Sophies. There are a number of barangs that have experimented with the brothel bar concept and ended up behind bars. All those establishments I would regard as selling sex.

Then there are quite a few bars that "welcome" freelancers such as Martini's and Walkabout. I doubt the bar would have many customers if they wern't there. So is the owner promoting prostitution for allowing freelancers in the bar and by extension is he profiting from prostitution by the sale of drinks facilitated by the freelancers? Similarly Dalin Dalin also has freelancers, although a bit more upmarket. Is this in the same category as Walkabout?. Are these establisments exploiting the freelancers by effectively having unpaid drinks promotion girls?I would consider such bars as a seperate category of freelance bars and would not conflate them with brothels. But both I would consider premises where you go with the motive of obtaining some sexual liaison.

Hostess bars are a seperate category and while you certainly can obtain a girl for the night. There is much more to the hostess bar than that, here you pay for a girls attention and company while in the bar, its effectively sexualy charged entertainment in a pleasant environment. Many customers, go for the female company, to flirt, have a good time, before going home to their wives. Quite often hostesses have a particular "special customer" whom she goes with to the exclusion of others.They may occasionally have a night or weekend together, but generally come in regularly, see the same girl and buy her drinks before going home.

Going to a hostess bar can be compared with going to a restaurant. You can go into, say, Armand's, get him to cook you a steak ,slap it on a piece of bread and walk out,stuffing it in your mouth while walking down the street. Alternatively you can enjoy the meal and ambience in the surroundings of a nice restaurant. The person taking the former course might argue that he is hungry and doesn't want to waste time in hanging around,he just wants the food. If he wants to use the restaurant in that way fine, but dont then denigrate Armands as a "greasy spoon" because he only sees the "haute cuisine" as fuel.

He would most likely have been better served by going into a fast food joint, and also he could have saved a considerable amount of cash at the same time. Meanwhile the rest of the customers seeing the performance are thinking how "f***ing" coarse. Interestingly the hostesses in some bars have a similar view of the behaviour of some customers. One guy walked into a bar and straight up asked a girl I know quite well "how much for a f**k!" The answer was a sock in the mouth!

A brothel or a freelance bar might serve the person who sees a hostess bar as one form of "brothel", much better than a hostess bar, and also be considerably cheaper. If you want to use a hostess bar for facilitating sex in the same way you might in a brothel or freelance bar and pay over the odds for the extra service you don't particularly want, fine, but don't then conflate it with those establishments. Similarly the fast food joint and "Armands" both have their place and can be equally welcome at different times. But they are very different, even if they both serve food.

And to answer the "acid test" I would be quite happy to take my mother to the Black Cat and some other similar bars but I would probably draw the line at Candy and Bunny Bar :D
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ Good post.

There is obviously different types of service for every type of market and client.

I remember in Bangkok walking around Patong where the Japanese hostess bars are just out of interest. And the Tuk Tuk drivers would be like "You can't walk down this street, it's only for the Japanese!!!"

I never listened to them though.

Martini is quite ridiculous, I live close to it so stop in once and awhile, sometimes just for late night food (which isn't too bad). And girls just walk up to you and say "You want lady go with you tonight?"

And you only have to say no once. It's like everyone else is informed somehow, but you don't get hassled there. I also see alot more Asian Men frequenting the place in recent years and wonder if they are not paying more.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

FreeSocrates! wrote:^ Good post.

There is obviously different types of service for every type of market and client.

I remember in Bangkok walking around Patong where the Japanese hostess bars are just out of interest. And the Tuk Tuk drivers would be like "You can't walk down this street, it's only for the Japanese!!!"

I never listened to them though.

Martini is quite ridiculous, I live close to it so stop in once and awhile, sometimes just for late night food (which isn't too bad). And girls just walk up to you and say "You want lady go with you tonight?"

And you only have to say no once. It's like everyone else is informed somehow, but you don't get hassled there. I also see alot more Asian Men frequenting the place in recent years and wonder if they are not paying more.
Interesting you should mention the Japanese bars as I was thinking of the similarities between the Phnom Penh hostess bars and Kyabakura hostess clubs when I was writing. Same concept but much less formal and a hell of a lot cheaper. I think the reason Gaijin have a hard time getting into the hostess clubs apart from language is they are worried you wont know the protocal and behave inappropriately. Also that you might not have enough cash :D

Interesting about Martinis. Ten or fifteen years ago the girls were all over you like a bad rash. I have been a couple of times this year, it seems a shadow of its former self and as you say a bit hassle free. I think many of the girls might have changed venue to the new axis of evil, namely: Heart,GSM,Pontoon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic