Getting about in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
KHurr
Tourist

Getting about in PP

Post by KHurr »

I am in my early 60's and have never driven a motorcycle scooter, etc. and have not been on a bike in ages. I may try a bicycle when there is nobody else on the road :oops: . This means I will likely need to live within walking distance of some markets, etc. and I will have to rely on Tuk tuks. I do not want to own a car in PP. So here is my initial, introductory dumbass noob question. Why not buy a second hand tuk tuk? The advantages seem obvious. Looks like it would be fun. Has anybody ever seen a expat driving a tuk tuk or know of any that drive them for personal transportation?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting about in PP

Post by John Bingham »

I've seen the odd foreigner driving one. Those Indian Bajaj Autorickshaws are being sold here now, they'd be a lot better to drive and are much more solid than the trailer type.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
KHurr
Tourist

Post by KHurr »

Thanks JB. I like it! That is exactly what I think would work best for me. The Bajaj Autorickshaws may be getting phased out in India for the new quadricycle (the Qute), which might explain why they are showing up in Cambodia now. Now if I can just find one with seat belts and airbags, I'll be in business :lol:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They can carry quite a big load.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

u wont make it in the traffic; you will get eaten alive
either live near markets or get a tuk tuk driver on a monthly basis ( around $300 would do it)

There was a poster on ceo that owned a tuk tuk perhaps drop over there and ask...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote:u wont make it in the traffic; you will get eaten alive
It's great to have such positive input. It may surprise you Richard, but many people, even including foreigners, manage to drive around here 365 days a year without being "eaten alive". Next thing you'll be telling us how cheap tuk-tuks are in Thailand. :lol:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:u wont make it in the traffic; you will get eaten alive
It's great to have such positive input. It may surprise you Richard, but many people, even including foreigners, manage to drive around here 365 days a year without being "eaten alive". Next thing you'll be telling us how cheap tuk-tuks are in Thailand. :lol:
never driven a motorcycle scooter, etc. and have not been on a bike in ages
so u seriously believe that someone that has NOT driven around in PP will not have a hard time driving a 3 wheel tuk tuk in pp traffic??
if so i stand in the wrong and accept my humble apologies.... :hattip:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, on second thoughts it's probably not the best idea, at least not at first. :bow:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Listen to Richard advice.
If you still want to drive your own vehicle a cheap tico car would be a better option than a tuktuk. Three wheelers are notably unstable and offer shit protection against monsoon rains.
KHurr
Tourist

Post by KHurr »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Listen to Richard advice.
If you still want to drive your own vehicle a cheap tico car would be a better option than a tuktuk. Three wheelers are notably unstable and offer shit protection against monsoon rains.
Great advice from everybody. And thanks for not recommending a Rascal. This is something I have much time to think about. I have never been to SEA, but expect to arrive in PP in two weeks. Having places to walk to will be nice enough, plus for me riding in a tuk tuk will seem like a Disney ride, at least initially. I was probably getting a little ahead of myself by looking into driving one of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic