Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Otis
Expatriate

Modest Proposal 2

Post by Otis »

Areas of PP, St 51 and the Riverfront among them, are littered with pathetic kids sniffing glue. some are as young as 5,6,7 years old. As the NGO's are the de facto public welfare arm of the government.

Those that profess any interest in "Les Enfants" and the like should put together patrols to go out on the streets and grab the glue bags away.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by StroppyChops »

What do you do about the problem, Otis? Genuine question.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Otis wrote:Areas of PP, St 51 and the Riverfront among them, are littered with pathetic kids sniffing glue. some are as young as 5,6,7 years old. As the NGO's are the de facto public welfare arm of the government.

Those that profess any interest in "Les Enfants" and the like should put together patrols to go out on the streets and grab the glue bags away.
and than what?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"What do you do about the problem, Otis? Genuine question."

I think they are abandoned children. They are obviously at least as brutally messed up as any kid would be from sexual encounters with an adult. I do not know what to do about them in the long run. Allowing them to sniff glue openly every day will give you brutally messed up kids with significant brain damage. I have not seen this tolerated any where else in SE Asia.

I propose that it be made difficult [but not impossible to do] to do. Surely that would be an improvement.

On several occasions I bought a bowl of soup for one on these kids. Twice the kid was so far gone that he could not recognize food as food.

I have no immediate answer for "what then". That answer is not immediately needed.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Snatching away the glue bags would mostly just push the problem slightly out of view, not alleviate the underlying issues...although it's a start. A genuine solution would require a government/NGO partnership to take those glue sniffers into protective custody and into treatment programs while simultaneously financially assisting the kid's families. I wish APLE would turn some of their focus and donations on such initiatives instead of concentrating their resources on the (non-child related) sex trade.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

I quite agree w. you soi dog. Alas, sex is sexy and, more to the point, sex sells. And puritanism can always be dressed up in a Sunday suit to make money - reason and charity be damned.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

glue is cheap and believe me, it fucks u up good.

Not much anyone can do except to try an give them a safe place to sleep, food and someone to talk too.
BUT to force them out of the life ( as they do with arresting bar girls/streetwalkers to "re-educate " them) they have chosen, will surely back fire
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

phuketrichard wrote:glue is cheap and believe me, it fucks u up good.

Not much anyone can do except to try an give them a safe place to sleep, food and someone to talk too.
BUT to force them out of the life ( as they do with arresting bar girls/streetwalkers to "re-educate " them) they have chosen, will surely back fire
We are talking about the kids here. Saying a 9 year old has "chosen" that life is probably a stretch. Society can force kids into school during the day, force them off the streets at night and lock them up if they are committing crimes, so it's not a stretch to force them into a protective custody situation for glue sniffing.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Grabbing the glue bags is harm reduction. It needs to be done with or without other measures.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Hey Stroppy, why not gather a contingent of holy rollers and roll on this. Ya might do some good AND garner some precious good publicity for the Precious Blood out there in the street. I'm serious.

Regarding drug interventions I offer the below from an early "70 Rolling Stones tour:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic