Etiquette

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jonnohitler
Expatriate

Etiquette

Post by jonnohitler »

I went to Deco last night for the first time in ages, and the food's still as delightful as ever. However, something has been troubling me. I ordered a bottle of wine and the waiter poured a thimbleful into my glass. I sipped it, nodded at him and he proceeded to pour us both a full glass. The reason for this scenario, which plays out in restaurants the world over, is to ascertain whether the bottle is corked before you drink it. But this was a screwtop. What was the point?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Etiquette

Post by OrangeDragon »

it could have been unscrewed and rescrewed?

i thought it was to ascertain that the bottle hadn't gone vinegar... which can happen even if the seal seams fine.
jonnohitler
Expatriate

Post by jonnohitler »

Perhaps, but being English even if it had tasted like, or even been, piss I would have been too polite to send it back.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

You want to know if it's corked, you sniff the wine for the bouquet, not taste it.

Proper waiters and fellow diners the world over sneer at the fool putting the wine in his (they usually ask the gentleman to test, for some reason) mouth rather than under his nose.
That's etiquette, innit.
jonnohitler
Expatriate

Post by jonnohitler »

This is true. But a Parisian sommelier this chap was not. I think if after pouring the sample he had seen me sniffing the glass he would have thought I was a downy or something.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

jonnohitler wrote: What was the point?
I always thought it was just to appear fancy.

I typically drink that first little pour, make a bitter beer face, and then send the first bottle back when I'm on a date.

Want them to think I know a thing or 2 about wine and fine dining.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Wine? Isn't that what POSH folk use to get sh*tfaced ?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Tradition. Screw cap wine rarely gets corked unless badly transported or stored. I used to sniff and squeeze the cork to feel if it was moist and pliable enough to seal.

You can always grab the bottle and take a chug from the neck, gargle and spit.* Love the look on their faces too.

Also the purpose of letting men trial the wine first was to make sure that cork refuse went in his glass.

*no, not ever.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

They show the bottle and pour a little for 3 reasons"

1. The waiter didn't screw up and bring the wrong wine(pun)
2. The wine has not spoiled
3. Snob tradition. Imagine the romantic points you'd score if a waiter dumped a happy box on the table

Interesting trivia: a screw cap is actually better wrt the taste of the wine.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I might be wrong, but I thought the presentation of the cork originally stemmed from times gone by when labels were yet to be affixed to the bottles, so the consumer looked at the cork to find the winemakers, mark or stamp.

I'm often drunk, so I can't be sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic