High season Cambodia, Thailand, etc.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: High season Cambodia, Thailand, etc.

Post by Raybull »

snookieboi wrote:Thanks guys for making that clear. I was under the impression it was mostly a Thai thing, but alas, it affects even Cambodia and Vietnam, and probably Laos.

No doubt i could bargain some deals, but with crappy exchange rates and stuff i might postpone the trip, or consider another continent.

Cheers. :beer3:
No need to postpone anything IMO. Easier to just take it easy an extra night a week or similar to compensate for the lower exchange and slight high season mark up. Flights are mostly dirt cheap, saw some Australia to PNH sale for under 350$ return the other day.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Good advice, thanks.

If i do decide to go, then i'll no doubt find some cheap way of doing it. For me anyway, one of the big pulls about Asia was that it was a rather cheap place to travel in for long periods of time. However, when that isn't so much the case i consider other options, because there is always a point when it has priced itself out in terms of VFM for me.

Currently the UK Pound is very weak, so that is also another consideration, and ATM fees, and Card fees back home is another thing. I like SE Asia, but at the same time it will can always go on the 'backburner' untill those rates improve... :beer2: :hattip:
More than just any old backpacker.
Rosco101
Tourist

Post by Rosco101 »

Currently the UK Pound is very weak, so that is also another consideration, and ATM fees, and Card fees back home is another thing.
Try getting a Revolut card - it removes a lot of the cost of using bank cards abroad and exchanging money - you will still get stung for the local ATM fees (which are ridiculous in SE Asia) but you won't pay any domestic fees and you get the market exchange rate. :thumb:

https://revolut.com
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Rosco101 wrote:
Currently the UK Pound is very weak, so that is also another consideration, and ATM fees, and Card fees back home is another thing.
Try getting a Revolut card - it removes a lot of the cost of using bank cards abroad and exchanging money - you will still get stung for the local ATM fees (which are ridiculous in SE Asia) but you won't pay any domestic fees and you get the market exchange rate. :thumb:

Thanks i'm looking into cards situation. Credit cards may be better, if paid off in time. :)
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Western union is good for Thailand if you have a Thai bank account.

They don't do Cambodia.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

snookieboi wrote:
Rosco101 wrote:

Thanks i'm looking into cards situation. Credit cards may be better, if paid off in time. :)
So very few establishments accept CC's in Cambodia. More in VN & Thailand but usually the higher end businesses.
Getting cash on your CC is very costly. Least for my CC's. Have not done in many years. Is there not a institution that rebates ATM fees available to you?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Charles Schwab rebates atm fees
not sure if u can get one if ur not american thou

I mange a few villas here in Phuket, i have 5 different rates thru the year
manage 1 resort in Chiang Khan 3 rates

western union has high rates
credit cards (at least my US ones) when u withdraw cash, interest starts right away, unlike a purchase where u have 30-40 days till interest starts

Just take cash!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

phuketrichard wrote: Just take cash!!!
For Thailand, yes. No point using a card to withdraw cos fees too much, so need to withdraw lots to make it werthwhile, ie, just take a load of cash instead=no brainer.

However if arriving in another country and travelling months, things differ. Some credit cards are great if you pay the bills off asap.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

If you use a CC for cash withdrawal, make sure it's one without currency exchange then pre pay it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic