License for 250cc

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: License for 250cc

Post by StroppyChops »

You might just have to settle for riding 'bitch' with the big boys!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

When I originally applied for a license I showed Anna Travel (Snooky) that I have an unlimited motorcycle license endorsement. The license officials refused to issue a license with the bigger CC endorsement saying my motorcycle endorsement didn't state CC's. ( Its unlimited you government turkeys, I've been riding big bikes before you were born!), so I have a B license. I've been stopped, but the police don't seem to care I'm riding a bigger bike.
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

Sailorman wrote: so I have a B license. I've been stopped, but the police don't seem to care I'm riding a bigger bike.
That sounds encouraging and I would likely just go this route, but as I said, I want to get this thing insured with Infinity and I think they will want to see a Cambodian drivers license with the proper corresponding designation.

I could be wrong and all Infinity will want to see is my registration card which is no big deal as I have that. I am just assuming at this point that they will also ask to see that I am properly licensed as well for a 250cc.

And to point out again, the only reason I'm concerned is that this thing cost a pretty penny and if it gets stolen or pranged I want to be covered and compensated.

If it was just some Baja 250 that's older than my girlfriend then I wouldn't give two shits about what license I had.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Stroppy, at least down here in S/ville, the answer to your question is "Yes" any travel agent can do it for you. I would imagine its the same in PP too mate.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks Hotdigr
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Hugh Briss wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: This licence also alows you to drive a moto up to 49cc (A1licence)

Wrong: A1 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size from 49 to 125 cm

Not up to 49cc, from 49cc to 125cc
Oops well spotted. I have a B licence and own a 115cc. If an A1 was up to 49cc that would mean I was driving illegally :shock:
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

StroppyChops wrote: how does one get a car licence.
Sorry Strop, don't know if this has been answered for you. If you are in PP you have 2 options.

Option 1. If you have your drivers license from your home country and it has not expired then you can go ABC driving school (aka: 23 tola) http://yp.com.kh/search/?q=23%20tola there are many branches throughout town. If you go through them, a proper driving school, and your home license is still legit then you might only have to take the written test, after paying some money, then wait a month for the processing. The good part about this route is that this license is good for 5 years.

Option 2. which most of us do. I don't know about travel agencies, but on Monivong there are 2 motorcycle rental/a little bit of everything, shops. One is called Lucky Lucky and the other is called New New. I have been using New New myself for about 5 years. I go to them for my drivers license and for my visa renewals.

For your license you just give them your home country DL, passport, a couple 4x6 photos and pay them a fee and in about a month you have a B license which is only good for 1 year and covers cars and 125cc and below motos. No written exam or anything.

The cost has changed from what I hear. When I renewed in January it was still around $35 but that might not still be true. Also I can't remember if for the initial issuance of your Cambodian license, if there are extra costs. But the yearly renewal is from what I'm hearing, around $50 bucks now.

Hope this helps.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks Hugh
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

even if the insurance co dont ask to see your license,
i would think that if you ever do have an accident then the police would want to see it and if you can't produce it, then your insurance would be invalidated
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

clippy wrote:even if the insurance co dont ask to see your license,
i would think that if you ever do have an accident then the police would want to see it and if you can't produce it, then your insurance would be invalidated
Yeah, no time to wait for anyone to help me out with a workaround solution so I just forked over the dosh, scheduled my ride and written exam for next week and that's that and I'll have my 'A2' DL so I can insure my big bike. But if I want to be legit while riding around on my Viva 125cc or in my RAV4 then I need an entirely separate 'B' DL.

Sometimes this country makes me want to curb stomp the first person I see.

What the fuck ever...........
Last edited by Hugh Briss on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic