Polyclinic suspended for "improperly treated snake bite"

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 17271
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 500
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Polyclinic suspended for "improperly treated snake bite"

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 pm

A Poipet clinic’s operations were suspended by the Banteay Meanchey provincial health department after a complaint was filed by the family of a woman who died from an improperly treated snakebite.

According to a report by local police, 26-year-old Ma Sothea, living in Poipet’s Kon Domrey village, was bitten by a cobra at 2pm on December 17. She was taken to Sen Soksan polyclinic, where she died at 6:45pm after doctors injected her with an un-specified medicine and administering an IV.

Her family subsequently filed a complaint to authorities, accusing the clinic of “unprofessional treatment” resulting in the death of their daughter, the report continues. The clinic’s owner, Chhum Bunchheng, offered $2,700 to the deceased’s family for the withdrawal of the complaint against him.

Voeun Sophy, technical director of the provincial health department, ordered the suspension of the clinic’s operations on Tuesday based on a decision by the Ministry of Health that the clinic had ignored rules banning private clinics from treating patients bitten by cobras. “The Ministry of Health suspended the clinic because of its delay in referring the bitten patient to another hospital for proper treatment, resulting in the death of the patient,” he said.

Voan Leak, 36, sister of the deceased, said the complaint was withdrawn after her family accepted the $2,700 offered. “My family has already told the authorities about this case, but we cannot stop the [case]. I think the police found another mistake which the clinic has committed,” she said.
Clinic owner Bunchheng could not be reached for comment.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/s ... suspension
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 17271
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 500
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Polyclinic suspended for "improperly treated snake bite"

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Image

[Clinic owner's version of the death]
The clinic’s owner, Chum Mongchheng, could not be reached for comment yesterday. Previously however, Mr. Mongchheng said Ms. Sothea had been bitten by a cobra with strong venom, which caused her serious symptoms, and doctors had tried to rescue her using appropriate techniques.
He added that she did not die in his clinic but when she was sent for emergency treatment at the referral hospital.

[Victim's family's version]
The victim’s brother, Ma Bros, confirmed she had been bitten by a cobra on her right fingertip and was taken by motorbike for medical treatment at the Sen Soksan clinic where doctors gave her an IV drip.

He said that after a second IV drip was given, his sister became nauseous, dizzy and had difficulty breathing, but the doctors kept saying everything was okay until she could no longer speak and her heart stopped beating.

The doctors then decided to send her to the referral hospital but she had died on arrival, Mr. Bros added. He said he considered the case negligence on the part of the doctors who let his sister die.

“When my sister was unwell, I asked the doctor to leave the clinic. But he said my sister had no problems and only after her symptoms got worse and her heart stopped beating, they sent her to the referral hospital,” he said.
Khmer Times 12/01/2017
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post