Coming Soon ... Aquaponics

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Coming Soon ... Aquaponics

Post by frank lee bent »

cool!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Personally I'd be really REALLY hesitant to builds a commercial aquaponics rig on a rooftop here, given the weight. Sounds like a great idea, though.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

One guy near me on road 21, about one k past the Takhmau roundabout on the RH side has a shop that always has a aqua setup in front of his shop with vegies growing in it. I think he sells the whole setup to people interested.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AQUAPONICS-PP
Tourist

Post by AQUAPONICS-PP »

Thanx Duncan for the info, will investigate.
Thanx StroppyChops, was also thinking the same thing, so of course need a structurally sound building, but roof tops are great for sun coverage, and in an urban setting, highly favoured.
Aloha Frank and thanx for the support, look forward to seeing you hopefully at one of the seminars I plan on running when I am in town.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AQUAPONICS-PP wrote:Thanx Duncan for the info, will investigate.
Thanx StroppyChops, was also thinking the same thing, so of course need a structurally sound building, but roof tops are great for sun coverage, and in an urban setting, highly favoured.
Aloha Frank and thanx for the support, look forward to seeing you hopefully at one of the seminars I plan on running when I am in town.
Obviously why water tanks are stored over load bearing structures like wall joints and stairwells depending on weight, but otherwise a great use of rooftops. I get really nervous around rooftop pools and spas!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote:
AQUAPONICS-PP wrote:Thanx Duncan for the info, will investigate.
Obviously why water tanks are stored over load bearing structures like wall joints and stairwells depending on weight, but otherwise a great use of rooftops. I get really nervous around rooftop pools and spas!

The water reservoir tanks on the top of the new houses in my area are all 2,000l. One l of water weighs aprox 1 kg. I just weighed a 20 l bucket of water and it was 20 kg ,, therefor a 2,000 liter tank weighs 2,000 kg = 2 tonn.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AQUAPONICS-PP
Tourist

Post by AQUAPONICS-PP »

yes, looking for a place that can handle around 30tons.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AQUAPONICS-PP wrote:yes, looking for a place that can handle around 30tons.

Please don't rent/buy a property near me.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ or above me!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Lots of Pictures and advice.

http://teakdoor.com/farming-and-gardeni ... owing.html
For whatever reason, when I hit my late twenties, I developed an itch for growing vegetables. I grew up in a farming community, but never recall seeing anything but commercial crops such as sugar beats, wheat, etc...being grown. I can remember my great grandfather having a garden, and how incredible everything tasted out of the garden compared to the supermarket.

The second motivation I have for growing veggies is the fact that seemingly, there isn't any good produce to be had. Maybe those of you who are up North have better access to quality "farang" vegetables, but I do not. Furthermore, I have yet to see one god damn tomato worth anything at all!

Here in Thailand, I have no access to soil. My entire yard is concrete, so I had to find another means. I began to research aqua and hydroponics, and that has led me up to where I am now. The beauty of these systems is that they are customizable to your space, require little maintenance, and they produce quite well.

Here are some pictures of my Aquaponics system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic