License for 250cc

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

License for 250cc

Post by Hugh Briss »

I just bought a new 250cc bike and it appears that the Cambodian license that I have now, the 'B' class only covers cars and 125cc or smaller motos.

Now I need to get a separate 'A' series license to cover my 250cc. I want to get the license so I can get insurance cause it is a quite expensive bike, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

But the licensing process is a p.i.t.a. Pay $65, give 7 4x6 photos, passport/visa copies. Then wait one week to take the written test which is only given in the afternoon Monday through Thursday. So I have to get time off of work. Then it's a one month wait to get the license.

This is fucking stupid, how can I be licensed to drive a car and 125cc or less motos but not a 250cc motorcycle?

Does anyone know of a workaround, some tea money I can pay to circumvent this? My original license from my home country has been 'misplaced' so all I have is my Cambodian 'B' series license that I have been renewing with New-New every year for the past 5 years. Even the boss lady at New-New told me that I have to go to the driving school and take the test to get the 'big' moto license.

Anyone know of any palms I can grease to get this, or am I stuck going the legit route?

Thanks in advance. :beer3:
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: License for 250cc

Post by StroppyChops »

The bonus for me is that you seem to have answered a question I've between asking for a while - how does one get a car licence. Can anyone confirm that the 'B' licence for motos also covers cars? Also keen to see a response to Hugh's question.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

Looks like I need an 'A-2'
Here is some of the ministry bs:

There are 5 types of driving license for the road vehicles of the Kingdom of Cambodia as follows:
Type A: For motorcycle and tricycles
A1 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size from 49 to 125 cm

A2 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size over 125 cm
- The vehicles with trailers and tricycles.
Type B: - For the vehicles transporting the passengers not over 9 passengers including the
driver.
- The goods loading vehicles with total weight in maximum not over 3.5 tons.
- The vehicle in type B can tow the trailers with total weight not over 0.75 tons.
Type C: - For the goods loading vehicles with total weight in maximum over 3.5 tons and
might probably have trailers with the total weight in maximum not over 0.75
tons.
Type D: - Passenger Vehicles:
D1 - For the vehicles loading passengers from 10 to 20 passengers including the
driver and might have the trailers with the total weight in maximum not more
than 0.75 tons.
D2 - For the vehicles loading more than 20 passengers including the driver and might
have the trailer with the total weight in maximum not more than 0.75 tons.
Type E: - For the vehicles in Type B, C and D with trailers in total weight more than 0.75
tons must divide into 3 types – Type E (B), Type E (C) and Type E (D).

ARTICLE 41:

Other conditions involving the driving license will be defined as the following:
1- T he drivers can only drive the vehicles based on the types of driving licenses they are holding. The
disabled people obtain the rights to drive the special vehicles and have the special driving license for
only the disabled people.
2- The driving license holders must apply for the renewal of the validation before the expiry date of the
driving license. Failure to apply for the renewal of the validation will be fined as set by the law.
3- The age of drivers must be determined in accordance with the types of the driving license as follows:
1- At least 16 years old for type A1
2- At least 18 years old for type A2 and B
3- At least 22 years old for type C and D1
4- At least 24 years old for type D2 and E
4- Those who have the driving license type A2 can drive the vehicle in type A1
5- Those who have the driving license type B can drive the vehicle in type A1, agricultural vehicle or
vehicle equipped with usable tools with the maximum speed not over 40km/h, but cannot drive the
vehicle in Type A2 or C or D1 or D2 or E.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote:The bonus for me is that you seem to have answered a question I've between asking for a while - how does one get a car licence. Can anyone confirm that the 'B' licence for motos also covers cars? Also keen to see a response to Hugh's question.
A "B" licence is for a car. This licence also alows you to drive a moto up to 49cc (A1licence). For motos above you need a A2 licence. Most travel agencies will get you a licence for about $35. You need your approprate driving licence from your own country, your passport and two passport size photos. You usually get a covering licence within a couple of days. The plastic one takes about three weeks. The licence lasts one year.

The relevent section of Cambodian traffic law is article 41
4- Those who have the driving license type A2 can drive the vehicle in type A1
5- Those who have the driving license type B can drive the vehicle in type A1, agricultural vehicle or
vehicle equipped with usable tools with the maximum speed not over 40km/h, but cannot drive the
vehicle in Type A2 or C or D1 or D2 or E.
THe full traffic regs in english are here:
http://roadsafecambodia.com/wp-content/ ... w_2007.pdf
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks all. Someone else mocked me for not knowing to go to Lucky Lucky for a license - I should go to a travel agent?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Kuroneko wrote: Most travel agencies will get you a licence for about $35.
I believe prices have gone up about a year ago, and have stayed up.

About $50.

Basically, if you have a regular car license from back home, you can get it converted to a "car and small moto" licence here. Covers the typical 125cc motos.

If you have a motorbike licence from back home, they can convert it to a big moto licence here. 250cc bikes, etc.

I believe you have to get both if you want to be able to drive cars and big motos. Maybe they put it on one card for you, but I don't think so.

If you don't have a motorcycle licence from back home, well, it sounds expensive and/or a pain in the ass to get sorted.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

[quote="Kuroneko"] This licence also alows you to drive a moto up to 49cc (A1licence)

Wrong: A1 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size from 49 to 125 cm

Not up to 49cc, from 49cc to 125cc
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks, the General, I have both so I will give it a go and report back. Travel agent?
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

General Mackevili wrote:
If you have a motorbike license from back home, they can convert it to a big moto licence here. 250cc bikes, etc.

If you don't have a motorcycle license from back home, well, it sounds expensive and/or a pain in the ass to get sorted.
I'm getting this feeling, I guess there's no work around. With all the fucking corruption in this country it's funny that I have no choice but to go by the fucking book to get a 250cc license. JHFC
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Hugh Briss wrote:A1 - For the motorcycle with the cylindrical size from 49 to 125 cm

Not up to 49cc, from 49cc to 125cc
That sounds right. I know it covers the regular 125cc's that almost everyone and their grandma rides.

Yeah, I forget the details, but I have a regular car licence from the States and I wanted to see what I had to do to get a big bike licence, and it seemed way too expensive to even attempt.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic