Condom use still lags: study

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 8139
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Karma: 93
Location: CEO Newsroom
Cambodia

Condom use still lags: study

Postby CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:23 am

Condom use still lags: study
Wed, 11 January 2017
Cristina Maza

Despite numerous initiatives to promote condom use among Cambodian sex workers, many unmarried entertainment industry workers who participate in sex work do not routinely use condoms when sleeping with regular partners, a new study in BioMed Central reveals.

After interviewing female entertainment workers in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, researchers found that only 31.4 percent of respondents consistently used condoms with regular, non-commercial partners.

Transactional sex in Cambodia has changed radically since 2008 when the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation closed many of the country’s brothels, the report found. Sex work now happens on the margins of other businesses, such as in karaoke bars, beer gardens and massage parlors.

As a result, the definition of sex work has become less clear, with many men blurring the lines between regular client, boyfriend and cohabitating partner. A 2015 study in the journal Reproductive Health revealed that 60 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia have one or more of these relationships each year.

“The lifestyle of [female entertainment workers] thus is unique to the Cambodian context, and their sexual activities are more complex than the lifestyles and behaviors of [female sex workers] in other countries,” the study notes.

Meanwhile, about 9.8 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia are HIV-positive, compared to just 0.6 percent of the general population, according to research by the US-based National Center for Biotechnology Information. ..
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... lags-study
Cambodia Expats Online News: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else.

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 9735
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Karma: 324
Location: Sihanoukville
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Condom use still lags: study

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:30 am

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Condom use still lags: study
Wed, 11 January 2017
Cristina Maza

Despite numerous initiatives to promote condom use among Cambodian sex workers, many unmarried entertainment industry workers who participate in sex work do not routinely use condoms when sleeping with regular partners, a new study in BioMed Central reveals.

After interviewing female entertainment workers in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, researchers found that only 31.4 percent of respondents consistently used condoms with regular, non-commercial partners.

Transactional sex in Cambodia has changed radically since 2008 when the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation closed many of the country’s brothels, the report found. Sex work now happens on the margins of other businesses, such as in karaoke bars, beer gardens and massage parlors.

As a result, the definition of sex work has become less clear, with many men blurring the lines between regular client, boyfriend and cohabitating partner. A 2015 study in the journal Reproductive Health revealed that 60 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia have one or more of these relationships each year.

“The lifestyle of [female entertainment workers] thus is unique to the Cambodian context, and their sexual activities are more complex than the lifestyles and behaviors of [female sex workers] in other countries,” the study notes.

Meanwhile, about 9.8 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia are HIV-positive, compared to just 0.6 percent of the general population, according to research by the US-based National Center for Biotechnology Information. ..
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... lags-study
10% is a scarily high number
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Raybull
Expatriate
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:54 am
Karma: 8

Re: Condom use still lags: study

Postby Raybull » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Condom use still lags: study
Wed, 11 January 2017
Cristina Maza

Despite numerous initiatives to promote condom use among Cambodian sex workers, many unmarried entertainment industry workers who participate in sex work do not routinely use condoms when sleeping with regular partners, a new study in BioMed Central reveals.

After interviewing female entertainment workers in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, researchers found that only 31.4 percent of respondents consistently used condoms with regular, non-commercial partners.

Transactional sex in Cambodia has changed radically since 2008 when the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation closed many of the country’s brothels, the report found. Sex work now happens on the margins of other businesses, such as in karaoke bars, beer gardens and massage parlors.

As a result, the definition of sex work has become less clear, with many men blurring the lines between regular client, boyfriend and cohabitating partner. A 2015 study in the journal Reproductive Health revealed that 60 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia have one or more of these relationships each year.

“The lifestyle of [female entertainment workers] thus is unique to the Cambodian context, and their sexual activities are more complex than the lifestyles and behaviors of [female sex workers] in other countries,” the study notes.

Meanwhile, about 9.8 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia are HIV-positive, compared to just 0.6 percent of the general population, according to research by the US-based National Center for Biotechnology Information. ..
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... lags-study
10% is a scarily high number
You should take a trip to sub saharan afrika :shock:
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 9735
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Karma: 324
Location: Sihanoukville
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Condom use still lags: study

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 am

Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Condom use still lags: study
Wed, 11 January 2017
Cristina Maza

Despite numerous initiatives to promote condom use among Cambodian sex workers, many unmarried entertainment industry workers who participate in sex work do not routinely use condoms when sleeping with regular partners, a new study in BioMed Central reveals.

After interviewing female entertainment workers in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, researchers found that only 31.4 percent of respondents consistently used condoms with regular, non-commercial partners.

Transactional sex in Cambodia has changed radically since 2008 when the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation closed many of the country’s brothels, the report found. Sex work now happens on the margins of other businesses, such as in karaoke bars, beer gardens and massage parlors.

As a result, the definition of sex work has become less clear, with many men blurring the lines between regular client, boyfriend and cohabitating partner. A 2015 study in the journal Reproductive Health revealed that 60 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia have one or more of these relationships each year.

“The lifestyle of [female entertainment workers] thus is unique to the Cambodian context, and their sexual activities are more complex than the lifestyles and behaviors of [female sex workers] in other countries,” the study notes.

Meanwhile, about 9.8 percent of female entertainment workers in Cambodia are HIV-positive, compared to just 0.6 percent of the general population, according to research by the US-based National Center for Biotechnology Information. ..
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... lags-study
10% is a scarily high number
You should take a trip to sub saharan afrika :shock:
do they have a chicken farm? :twisted:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Newsworthy”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beerinthemorning, Bing [Bot], inaheap, Maurizio, mumma-monza, Onaroll and 849 guests