What's up with Cambodia's garment industry ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's up with Cambodia's garment industry ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Apparel factory closures debated
Tue, 10 January 2017
Cheng Sokhorng

Questions have been raised about the health of Cambodia’s $6 billion garment sector after local media reported that over 140 garment factories shut down operations last year.
Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour, the source of the figure cited in local media, stood by the number yesterday, stating that the ministry documented 141 garment factory closures in 2016, nearly double the amount recorded in 2015.

However, the figure appeared misrepresented in a local media report, which omitted ministry data that showed 149 garment factories opened during the same period, resulting in a net gain for the sector.
While Sour was unable to comment on the size of the factories included in the data set, or the number of workers employed, he insisted that fears garment manufacturers were pulling out of Cambodia en masse were unfounded...

Yang Sophorn, president of the Cambodian Alliance of Trade Unions (CATU), which represents about 10,000 workers, insisted that Cambodia remained an attractive low-cost destination for garment manufacturers despite recent wage hikes. She said the relatively high number of factory closures last year did not indicate a rise in bankruptcies or relocations to cheaper manufacturing destinations.

Instead, she said that the figures likely reflected the widespread practice in the garment sector of owners shuttering their factories whenever their tax holiday expires.

“Most factories close after five years then reopen, sometimes in the same location and other times in new location, with a new name but the same owner,” she said. “They do this because they want to avoid paying taxes to the government.”

Sophorn claims she was personally aware of eight factories in CATU’s membership pool that shut down last year only to reopen under a new name. The loophole allows factory owners to avoid taxes as well as seniority-based salary schedules and benefits...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/a ... es-debated
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's up with Cambodia's garment industry ?

Post by cannabistourist »

Very interesting ! Thank you <3
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

As someone who has spent his life in the industry told me (my old man, in fact) - your average khmer garment worker is more militant and less productive than other SEA workers. The garment industry here is going to die on its arse unless that is resolved. The minimum wage is quite high, comparatively, and for that you get less bang. It's entirely economics.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Ethiopia us a lot cheaper and better.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Three New Factories to be Established in Cambodia
28/04/18 22:43

Phnom Penh (FN), April 28 - The Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) granted licenses to three companies to establish cloth and bag factories for the export to the international market. The investment from the companies is worth of approximately 10 million USD in total, creating more than 4,000 jobs.

YILAIFA (CAMBODIA) GARMENT CO., LTD.: a project to establish garment factory located in Khan Meanchey, Sangkat Meanchey, Phnom Penh has a capital of approximately 3.89 million USD and can create 924 jobs.

MIMASU INDUSTRIES (CAMBODIA) CO., LTD.: a project to establish garment factory located in Bek Chan Commune, Ang Snuol District, Kandal Province has a capital of approximately 2.28 million USD and can create 960 jobs.

WAM FA LEATHER CO., LTD.: a project to establish bag factory located in Perk Commune, Ang Snuol district, Kandal has a capital of approximately 5.44 million USD and can create 2,650 jobs.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 46-43.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

I suspect a lot of the workers have no idea the old factory closed and a new one opened.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I suspect that by "closed down" they simply mean "wasn't registered correctly, so registered correctly under a new name."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic