Reverse Culture Shock

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Reverse Culture Shock

Post by taabarang »

Here's an article from. BBC about long term expats who find it difficult to adjust to their country of origin. I'd love to hear from long-term foreign expats who have actually returned. As for me I have no reason to go back-no family, no possessions, no job etc. Sticker shock alone would probably send me repacking. Even though I have lived here a long time, long enough to marry and have two teenage kids I certainly do not see myself as Cambodian nor as American either. I am a cultural result of living on the US, and am still legally a citizen, but.it just isn't a significant part of my identity. So here you are:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201610 ... term-expat
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Reverse Culture Shock

Post by hanno »

I wouldn't even know where to go back to. I have a German passport but that is probably the country I spent the least time in......
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

One thing about us humans is we can adapt. Go home when you need real medical attention. Otherwise what's the difference? Gotta live somewhere. It might as well be here as to there. I like the weather here, but I much prefer UK hospitals. If Cambodia doesn't give you the chance to go home, the decision is made for you.
I prefer to have money back-up so I have some options.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

JSP is 100% right - the harsh fact is that GOOD medical insurance is unaffordable for poor(ish) foreign oldies

Everything is is just fine
mishi
Tourist

Post by mishi »

You are right its not in range for poor so surely everything is just fine for them while not in range.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic