$300M port expansion plan for Sihanoukville.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: $300M port expansion plan for Sihanoukville.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

England is just a cluster fuck
we measure large distances in miles, but smaller distances in cm/m, but our height in feet and inches
some trades still use feet and inches (carpentry) im a bricky and we work in millimetres
before boxing i used to weigh myself in stones, now i use kg
we use Celsius and only use Fahrenheit when we have a freakishly hot day when it gets to near the 100' mark haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
peppermintpaddy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by peppermintpaddy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:England is just a cluster fuck
we measure large distances in miles, but smaller distances in cm/m, but our height in feet and inches
some trades still use feet and inches (carpentry) im a bricky and we work in millimetres
we use Celsius and only use Fahrenheit when we have a freakishly hot day when it gets to near the 100' mark haha
im a brickie also jamie....i use metre/cm and ft inches....bilingual ....i still build 9"" walls and "eleveners"ie,11"walls,,,,,buy 4x2 from the builders yard ,when its actually 100mm x 70mm ,and lay 4"inch block and 6" block....and buy 5 gallon drums of febmix...the uk is now dual systems....
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

peppermintpaddy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:England is just a cluster fuck
im a brickie also jamie....i use metre/cm and ft inches....bilingual ....i still build 9"" walls and "eleveners"ie,11"walls,,,,,buy 4x2 from the builders yard ,when its actually 100mm x 70mm ,and lay 4"inch block and 6" block....and buy 5 gallon drums of febmix...the uk is now dual systems....

yeah tbh you are right there id often call them 4/6" blocks and 9" garden walls etc
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Hi this taa, your ignorant neighbor from across the pond. So I goggled stone and found it that is 16lbs. According to Wikipedia there were several stones around all with varying weights. But England adopted the "wool stone.". Pray tell what the fuck is a wool stone?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote:Hi this taa, your ignorant neighbor from across the pond. So I goggled stone and found it that is 16lbs. According to Wikipedia there were several stones around all with varying weights. But England adopted the "wool stone.". Pray tell what the fuck is a wool stone?
afaik wool stone is like insulation
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

taabarang wrote:Hi this taa, your ignorant neighbor from across the pond. So I goggled stone and found it that is 16lbs. According to Wikipedia there were several stones around all with varying weights. But England adopted the "wool stone.". Pray tell what the fuck is a wool stone?
A wool stone was simply a stone weighing 14lb (not 16lb) and which was used as a standard weight for the sale of wool. There were other weights of stones in England for other products. In 1350 the 14lb weight was declared to be the standard stone.
By the way, lb also means stone:
Lībra in Latin originally means ‘stone’, thence ‘pound weight’ (i.e., the little stone you put on scales to weigh things), thence ‘pound’ (the weight of one of those stones), and only from that was the meaning generalised to mean ‘weight’ in general. The phrase lībra pondō ‘a pound by weight’ was then used to refer unambiguously to the second meaning. (source:stackexchange).
In England the plural of lb is lb (which is logical given what is stands for), but I think in the USA you write lbs.
Last edited by armchairlawyer on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for your clarification. How did they weigh the stone-with another stone?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

taabarang wrote:Thanks for your clarification. How did they weigh the stone-with another stone?
Haha, good question.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Port unveils $200m expansion
4 May 2017
Sihanoukville Autonomous Port (SAP) is to build a $200 million container terminal as part of an expansion project due to be completed by 2022.
The expansion is intended to address a surge in the volume of containers passing through the country’s only deep-sea port. The existing container terminal is expected to be overloaded by 2023.

Lou Kim Chhun, SAP director-general, told Khmer Times yesterday that the volume of containers passing through the port will increase to more than 700,000 TEUs in 2023. The 20-foot container, referred to as a twenty-foot equivalent unit or TEU, is the industry standard reference for cargo volume and vessel capacity.

“In response to increased demand, SAP will invest about $200m to build a new 350-metre container terminal equipped with modern shipment facilities,” Mr Kim Chhun said. The terminal will be 14.5 metres deep.
“We are studying the project with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and want it to be ready by 2022. We currently have more than 400,000 TEUs passing through the port. With the expansion, we will be able to handle about 1,000,000 million TEU.”
He added that Cambodia will seek a loan from JICA to build the new container terminal.

Public Works and Transport Minister Sun Chanthol visited the port on Monday. He said strong economic growth had resulted in the increase of containers coming into the port.
“SAP’s new container terminal will service this growth,” he said.

Mr Chanthol said that between 2002 and 2005, the state-owned enterprise spent $33.7 million on building a 240-metre container port. From 2005 to 2009, SAP also spent $34.8m on expanding that port to 400 metres.
In 2015, SAP launched a $74.2m project to build a multipurpose seaport measuring 330 metres wide and 13.5 metres deep. It is about 65 percent finished and should be complete by next year.
“So far, SAP has received about $178.6m in loans from JICA,” Mr Chanthol said...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/38014/ ... expansion/

Get ready to make a killing with your PAS (SAP) shares on the CSX:
“The guaranteed annual dividend is at least five percent in the first three years for all public investors,” he added.
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/busines ... t9282.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

“The guaranteed annual dividend is at least five percent in the first three years for all public investors,” he added.
Oh, well, if it's guaranteed...

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic