Grenade murder-suicide over missing telephone.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Grenade murder-suicide over missing telephone.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The new year starts with a bang. A drunk man loses his phone so he grabs a hand grenade... Sad and stupid tale to start the year.

Grenade Murder-Suicide Kills Uncle, Nephew
by Buth Kimsay | January 2, 2017

A man on Sunday detonated a hand-grenade while clutching his nephew after a drunken argument over a missing telephone, killing them both, police said.

Chan Doul, the police chief in Tbong Khmum province’s Memot district, said the incident occurred in Memot commune at about 2:30 p.m. after 63-year-old Sam Sarath and 43-year-old Khonh Kha had spent the morning drinking heavily at a mutual friend’s house in Trabek village.

Mr. Doul said that both men finished drinking and left for their homes at about 12 p.m., whereupon Sam Sarath realized his mobile phone was missing.

Sam Sarath then rode his motorbike to Khonh Kha’s house to ask for his phone, which Khonh Kha denied having, Mr. Doul said.

Sam Sarath left and returned about 10 minutes later, walked over to Khonh Kha, grabbed him tightly, and detonated the grenade.

Mr. Doul said Sam Sarath’s last words to the victim were, “If you love me, we both should die together.”

Mr. Doul said both men had previously had a close relationship, and that the lost phone was the most likely motive for the murder.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/gren ... ew-122821/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: Grenade murder-suicide over missing telephone.

Post by boozyoldman »

Some old hands here will remember when nasty little feuds involving grenades were ten a penny / dime a dozen.

The claim was - this was 2 decades ago - that a grenade could be bought for $5.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

boozyoldman wrote:Some old hands here will remember when nasty little feuds involving grenades were ten a penny / dime a dozen.

The claim was - this was 2 decades ago - that a grenade could be bought for $5.
I wasn't here that long ago, but I know they were very cheap, I think about $3 at the Tuk Thla market.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/g ... ps-capital
M16 for $20?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

even $ 20 isn't bad, provided they have a good fuse.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The $20 was for a no-doubt wrecked M-16 rifle.
I'm not sure about buying old grenades, I wouldn't recommend it.
The reason they are so cheap is that they are pretty much useless as a weapon outside of a combat zone.
I'm glad they aren't being used as often in disputes as they used to be.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

While they are almost useless as a weapon they are highly prized in my neck of the woods by fishermen.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

A few places of entertainment still have a depiction of prohibited items on display outside.

Many, not all, feature grenades along with the handguns and syringes.

Concerning the use of grenades in fishing, it was claimed by at least one writer that the
KR forces on the Mekong used grenades to harvest Irrawaddy dolphins. Eco-concerns aside,
this sounds like a truly thrilling sport (compared to rough shooting with a shotgun or a .22.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic