Suggestions for short break Vietnam

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Suggestions for short break Vietnam

Post by Fourkinnel »

Next Jan I'm planning 10 to 14 day trip Vietnam. The outline plan, starting point Ho Chi Min (but no desire to stay there again) go to the coast the same day. Not going up as far as Nha Trang, maybe Phan Thiet?. Going to work way from there down coast until no more places of interest then across land to Ha Tien (Phu Quoc if time left).
People have told me before of some places but I can't remember all details. I know nothing much about the area, so would ask you well traveled folks who do to design me a circuit/plan, example spend two days here, 3 days there to get the most out of my trip, maybe some GH recommendations if poss, (not too much $$$). I'm not looking to just sit on a beach, want to take in some views, bit of culture and a bit of drinking nightlife without too many soap dodgers :beer3: Thanks in advance!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Suggestions for short break Vietnam

Post by sigmoid »

Check on the visa situation for your country first.

South of Phan Thiet/Mui Ne there's really not much other than Long Hai, which I don't think has much in the way of accommodation/tourist facilities and Vung Tau, which is mostly a weekend place for local couples and families, and a place to live for expat Vietnam vets and pensioners from Australia.

Subsequently, there are a fair number of bars for those guys and people involved with the oil and shipping industries. There are also plenty of accommodation choices.

I think to get to the Mekong Delta from Vung Tau, you pretty much have to go back to HCMC.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Just came back from Phan Thiet, weather wasn't so good. Like in Cambodia, the rainy season is lingering. At the same time, there is no wind and all the kite surfers are pretty miserable. If there is wind when you go, stay away from the central area of Mui Ne as there will be hundreds of kite surfers there. The road along the coast to Vung Tau is pretty nice. You will have to head back to HCMC from there if you want to go to the Delta.

Plenty of guesthouses in all these locations. Plenty of bars in Phan Thiet and Vung Tau, not so much in the Delta and Ha Tien.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Thanks for info so far. I was almost thinking dropping so low as to buy the LP book on VN. I'm only looking at places no bigger than say SHV. Been to Ha tien, nice but nothing much to do. Nothing but a few quiet bars suits me, livelier bars with a few nice looking ladies- bonus!. Need to find bit of info stuff on Phu Quoc, whether its worth a day or two.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Fourkinnel wrote:Thanks for info so far. I was almost thinking dropping so low as to buy the LP book on VN. I'm only looking at places no bigger than say SHV. Been to Ha tien, nice but nothing much to do. Nothing but a few quiet bars suits me, livelier bars with a few nice looking ladies- bonus!. Need to find bit of info stuff on Phu Quoc, whether its worth a day or two.
Massive construction going on on Phu Quoc.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

hanno wrote:
Damn, I was hoping for some respite from the daily sound of the hammers and grinders we have in my street!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Fourkinnel wrote:
hanno wrote:
Damn, I was hoping for some respite from the daily sound of the hammers and grinders we have in my street!
You might want to avoid Phu Quoc then.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Here are a couple of accommodation suggestions in Vung Tau.

A friend of mine has stayed here a couple time. It's above the Red Parrot Bar, which has a popular 2 for 1 beer happy hour:

http://manninghotelvungtau.com/vung-tau/

I stayed here about 3 years ago. It was alright at $20/night, located between the main bar area and the expat enclave:

http://skyluckhotel.vn/

If you're more interested in the expat enclave itself, which also has a lot of banging and grinding going on (building/construction/destruction) in the surrounding areas (Phan Chu Trinh Street), stop into Belly's Watering Hole for a recommendation.

Here's a recent article (with a video that gives you a glimpse of the town and some Vietnam War history) about that part of the scene there:

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/swea ... t5ww6.html
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

sigmoid wrote:Here are a couple of accommodation suggestions in Vung Tau.

A friend of mine has stayed here a couple time. It's above the Red Parrot Bar, which has a popular 2 for 1 beer happy hour:

http://manninghotelvungtau.com/vung-tau/

I stayed here about 3 years ago. It was alright at $20/night, located between the main bar area and the expat enclave:

http://skyluckhotel.vn/

If you're more interested in the expat enclave itself, which also has a lot of banging and grinding going on (building/construction/destruction) in the surrounding areas (Phan Chu Trinh Street), stop into Belly's Watering Hole for a recommendation.

Here's a recent article (with a video that gives you a glimpse of the town and some Vietnam War history) about that part of the scene there:

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/swea ... t5ww6.html
It's a bit boring in Muinui I think, also not very cheap. Vung Tau can easily be missed - no decent beaches and also a bit pricey - especially at the weekends. Nothing much in between as posters have suggested. No real foreign scene in the Mekong apart from the odd bar. Most westerners teaching down there are bored as hell.
Most beautiful relaxed/ adventure 2 week holiday in the southern half I would suggest;

Bus PP to HCM fly to Nha Trang or Da Lat (apprx $80). Da Lat; king's house, pine forests, general ambiance.: Nha Trang; great beach, Spend a few days in each place or just choose one. Try and get the right bus down from Da Lat to Nha Trang - ask the locals for the beautiful route (not the bus company/ taxis).

Motorbike (best) or take the train up to Da Nang. 3 - 4 days relaxed riding, and stop at Tuy Hoa and Quang Ngai for sleeping/exploring.
Especially besutiful bit of coast just north of Nha Trang.

Then it's Hoi Ann, very touristic. Then a very short journey to Da Nang city.

Just before, about 5 km south outside Da Nang on the coast, is China Beach. A very small expat scene with places to stay and eat.

Da Nang bridge is something to behold. The views are breathtaking. DaNang is a very Vietnamese place, but nowadays there are quite a few English teachers living there. No idea where they go though. But Hoa's on China beach should be able to let you know.

If you have time, take the train or rent a bike and go north to Hue along the coast (110 klm). One of the most beautiful coastal rides in possibly the world. Take the river trip to see the temples and take in the old royal capital's relaxed ambiance. Plenty of tourist bars there etc.There's also a nice beach with shacks etc 20 minutes moto ride from the city center.
I think Hue could be my favorite place in Vietnam, but take an umbrella.

Total distance 628 klm Nha Trang to Hue. Then fly back from Hue to HCMC.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Huế,+Th ... 0?hl=en-US
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Yeah, I'd' have to agree for the most part. With limited time, it might be better to travel to the area as described above (Nha Trang, Da Lat, Da Nang, Hue Hoi An, etc.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic