Cambodian Boy Got His Leg Stuck in Olympic Market's Escalator

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Boy Got His Leg Stuck in Olympic Market's Escalator

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
hopefully its just a scratch
:plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Isnt that Sorya?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

I don't think so. Sroya is a bit more modern and organized. No small shops ouside of the entrance either. Don't reccognize this one.
Barang chgout wrote:Isnt that Sorya?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

epidemiks wrote:Walked around Olympic countless times, can't say I ever remember seeing an escalator. Are they new, or am I just blind?
There are escalators there so it must be you :p Although half of them weren't working and were blocked off the time I went. I was of the understanding that Sorya mall had the first escalators in Cambodia, but I think Olympic Market is older so I guess they must have been added later.

I was at Hardy's department store in Sanur Bali once when I heard what I thought was a child squealing/wailing, but it turned out to be a (probably Australian) woman who had caught her toes in an escalator there. She was being carried away with blood coming from her foot, and later I noticed her flip flop still firmly jammed in the escalator. Apparently it happens all the time. Owies. Need to take care of children on those things (and yourself too, if not wearing proper footwear).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Unbelievable! It has happened again:

An 8 year old vagrant boy got his leg stuck in the escalator at New Stung Meanchey Mall...not as badly injured, but bad enough that he was sent to the Russian Hospital. He and his mates were messing about in the mall, security were telling them off, they ran down the escalator and he got his leg trapped. Took two hours to get him out. Mall paid the hospital fees.
https://www.tvfb.info/item/1119.html
&
http://kbn-live.com/news/archives/53884

(I'm sure this is the same mall that killed a boy playing on an electrical car or horse ride a while back?)

I'm going to be as hesitant as those country folk who come into the city and are rightly scared to ride on escalators.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic