Hi I would like to learn Khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
jadeface
Expatriate

Hi I would like to learn Khmer

Post by jadeface »

Can anyone recommend a good way to speak Khmer ? Writing comes later but it seems there are not so many internet courses I can use before getting in country. When I am in country, does anyone know of a good but cheap person who can help me learn ? Prefereably on the coast, Kep, kampot, Sihanoukville, Koh Kong. Thanks for any advice, respect and peace, Rob
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Hi I would like to learn Khmer

Post by newkidontheblock »

Don't learn the countryside Khmer stuff (from a previous post). Uttering it may get you in trouble with the ladies. It sure got me in a heap 'o trouble.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jadeface wrote:Can anyone recommend a good way to speak Khmer ? Writing comes later but it seems there are not so many internet courses I can use before getting in country. When I am in country, does anyone know of a good but cheap person who can help me learn ? Prefereably on the coast, Kep, kampot, Sihanoukville, Koh Kong. Thanks for any advice, respect and peace, Rob
tbh id wait until you get in-country
the only real way to learn khmer properly is by practicing and talking with the locals, getting the right sounds and pronunciations, as there are some that arent in English, the basics can be easy to pick up, with basic grammar, if you want to learn how to say something just ask a local and they will help,
i went to Don Bosco school in Siahnoukville was $70 per month for private 1-1 tutoring 3x 1-1.5 hour lessons a week, worked out about $5 per lesson, my teacher was very strict with pronunciation which was great, i learnt a lot there, would recommend them, but there are others
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Believe me, learn speaking Khmer first. If you learn how to speak and write at the same time , you will not learn fast.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahkeitouj wrote:Believe me, learn speaking Khmer first. If you learn how to speak and write at the same time , you will not learn fast.

100% agree, becoming familiar with all the sounds first makes learning all the consonants and vowels so much easier
jadeface
Expatriate

Post by jadeface »

Much appreciated, thanks for the help and information.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I got a good laugh from this, "Don't learn the countryside Khmer stuff (from a previous post). Uttering it may get you in trouble with the ladies. It sure got me in a heap 'o trouble."

Look, I clearly indicated that it was said in a moment of great anger and I might add by a woman who is not prone to use such expressions.
I offered two other variants much more polite in nature. There is absolutely nothing wrong with village colloquial speech. I find it highly imaginative and colorful. I do however assume a certain amount of sophistication on the part of the reader. If you try to "show off" vocabulary without giving any thought to the outcome, especially with an idiom containing the word -pussy- you deserve what you get.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: If you try to "show off" vocabulary without giving any thought to the outcome, especially with an idiom containing the word -pussy- you deserve what you get.
and when singing along to this song

ពូក = Puuk = mattress
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I met a Japanese friend of my friend. She speaks Khmer very clear , she forgets many words then told her go to market and talk to sellers often.

កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
LeesaJohnson
Expatriate

Post by LeesaJohnson »

Hi,
As you are interested in learning the Khmer language and you want to improve your speaking skill so I would like to suggest you watch the videos in the Khmer language. It will be useful to you to understand the correct accent of the language. I hope it will be helpful to you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic