Cambodian wine: the Wild Grape Wine Company.

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian wine: the Wild Grape Wine Company.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Did you know that they make wine in Cambodia ? A winemaker from Pursat has been producing wine using wild grapes for the past ten years.
The Wild Grape Wine Company already exports wine to China, and the winemaker, Mr Vireak, is hoping to break into Vietnamese and Thai markets. However, he says that the Asean Economic Community(AEC) has not been much use to his business so far.
From http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33768//

Anyone seen this, or tasted it ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodian wine: the Wild Grape Wine Company.

Post by hanno »

They also produce wine near Battambang. Tried it once a few years ago. I have stuck to Cambodian beer ever since, couldn't even use that vile stuff as vinegar.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

No, I haven't drunk the wine but I've eaten the wild grapes of Cambodia (tumpeang bai ju) and as such they are hardly recommendable. They are sour and impart an itchy sensation in the mouth and throat and on the lips. It is hard to believe that fermentation alone could remove these noxious qualities. Maybe it doesn't but people buy it because it's cheap and gets the job done. It might be similar to Thunderbird, a beverage best quaffed from a brown bag while comfortably established on a curb by the gutter.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

taabarang wrote:No, I haven't drunk the wine but I've eaten the wild grapes of Cambodia (tumpeang bai ju) and as such they are hardly recommendable. They are sour and impart an itchy sensation in the mouth and throat and on the lips. It is hard to believe that fermentation alone could remove these noxious qualities. Maybe it doesn't but people buy it because it's cheap and gets the job done. It might be similar to Thunderbird, a beverage best quaffed from a brown bag while comfortably established on a curb by the gutter.
There could be a potential market for this in SHV, but I've never seen it here. :D
Not surprised they are exporting to China though.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Anchor Moy wrote:
taabarang wrote:No, I haven't drunk the wine but I've eaten the wild grapes of Cambodia (tumpeang bai ju) and as such they are hardly recommendable. They are sour and impart an itchy sensation in the mouth and throat and on the lips. It is hard to believe that fermentation alone could remove these noxious qualities. Maybe it doesn't but people buy it because it's cheap and gets the job done. It might be similar to Thunderbird, a beverage best quaffed from a brown bag while comfortably established on a curb by the gutter.
There could be a potential market for this in SHV, but I've never seen it here. :D
Not surprised they are exporting to China though.
Yes, best to export solely to the 'Half sights', keep the Aussie and Chile vintages for those with a (long) nose for quality, at a fair price.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic