The Visa Situation...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

The Visa Situation...

Post by OrangeDragon »

NOTE: These rules are prone to change, and because of the nature of government here actual experiences may vary. We will try to keep it updated as much as possible but when in doubt you should check with an authorized agent or the consulate.

E-Visas
Available for $27 via http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/ you can get a 30 day tourist visa. It doesn't take up a whole page of your passport like the visa on arrival does, but also can only be extended once. Many land border crossings will not accept them, but all of the airports will.

Visa on Arrival
You have two choices here, Tourist or Ordinary (business). The Ordinary is $5 more ($25) however it can be extended for a year at a time indefinitely. The tourist visa ($20) can only be extended once for 30 days. There have been some reports of agents demanding to know what your business is for an Ordinary visa... just give them the name of some school here and they seem to leave you alone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: The Visa Situation...

Post by StroppyChops »

Note that you cannot get an ordinary (business, or class E) visa online, and that if you plan to stay with a business visa, getting an e-visa before you arrive will mess you up. For a business visa extension, bring photocopies of your passport as your original will be taken from you for two days, and also bring spare passport photos (although not critical depending on the airport officials at the time, they may charge you an extra dollar and then not bother). A year's business visa extension should cost you under $300 USD including bribes (if necessary), this is on top of your initial month of visa.

A word to the wise, if you are approached by an official at the airport to 'facilitate' your extension, be very sure to get his mobile number AND ALSO make a point of writing down his badge number in front of him or ask to take his photo. He WILL freak out, just tell him "no problem" repeatedly until he calms down. He or his courier will deliver your passport to you within two working days. Immediately check that you have two stickers, the one month visa and the 12 month extension, that the dates add up to 13 months, and that they are E class. You do not need to pay the handler any extra for delivering your passport, although a dollar never hurts.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ I should comment that this is the process for getting a business visa and extension at the airport. Many people just get the $25 visa at the airport, and then later pay a travel agent to handle the extension for a fee.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Evisa's have been $28 for at least a year.. StroppyChops you should rephrase your comment. Replace the word "bribe" with the words "express fee". Bribing public officials is an Australian Commonwealth offense and you could be arrested for your visa extension (unlikely but technically possible) back home.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

updated my post to reflect $27, which is what their site says.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'll risk it.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
movetocambodia
Tourist

Post by movetocambodia »

I've got a couple of pages with all of the visa information that people might find useful:http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning- ... dia-visas/

Let me know if anything on there doesn't sound right.

StroppyChops: What is the advantage to getting your ordinary visa (there is no business visa) extended at the airport? Is it so you can get 13 months all in one go? I think I trust travel agents more than airport officials, to be honest, and have always done it that way.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

movetocambodia wrote:StroppyChops: What is the advantage to getting your ordinary visa (there is no business visa) extended at the airport? Is it so you can get 13 months all in one go? I think I trust travel agents more than airport officials, to be honest, and have always done it that way.
The Cambodian 'Ordinary visa' equates to what most travellers understand as 'Business visa', and yep, that's the only benefit. It's a personal thing, but I like "just getting it done" on the way in, and for an extra $10 per passport its worth it to me. This way was recommended to me by some long term expats I traveled with, other travellers might prefer the other approach. Your comment about trust is very valid.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

For anyone looking into it, I got my Class E (business) visa renewed for 12 months about 3 weeks ago at Lucky Lucky on Monivong. Cost $283 and it was ready in two days. You need to provide one passport photo.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Evisa
it was a total of $28
$20 for visa
$5 for service
$3 for cc charge

They raised the $5 service charge to $7 and the CC charge does not appear till u give them ur cc.
so new total is now $30
Only good for Poi Pet land border an flying in, ( sometimes Koh Kong if there in the mood an u give them a tip)

Not worth it in my eyes to save 1/2 page for $10
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic