Four simple steps to crack down on petty crime

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Four simple steps to crack down on petty crime

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:We (myself and a few other snooky expats) had a decent idea for some vigilante curbing of this behaviour. There's a small device called a squib used in movies to make the blood explosions from "bullet wounds" in real time. They're really easy to make, not dangerous, and cheap. Send out a few chicks as bait with cheap purses which have these in them, but are loaded with strong dye instead of fake blood, and are rigged to pop when the purse is opened. Much like ink packs in bank money... start tagging these jackasses so they stand out for a few days. Maybe even get lucky and have one open it while in transit and make his moto crash when it surprises him.

My idea was to mix in some pepper spray as well, but figured that could be potential more liability.

Shit like THAT would probably be a good step for curbing petty crime...
Don't you have ready access to stuff that goes bang? Why muck around, why not develop a trigger that's attached to the girls wrist with fine line, once smartass is a safe distance from the girl, BANG! Just smoke and noise of course. ;)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

StroppyChops wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:We (myself and a few other snooky expats) had a decent idea for some vigilante curbing of this behaviour. There's a small device called a squib used in movies to make the blood explosions from "bullet wounds" in real time. They're really easy to make, not dangerous, and cheap. Send out a few chicks as bait with cheap purses which have these in them, but are loaded with strong dye instead of fake blood, and are rigged to pop when the purse is opened. Much like ink packs in bank money... start tagging these jackasses so they stand out for a few days. Maybe even get lucky and have one open it while in transit and make his moto crash when it surprises him.

My idea was to mix in some pepper spray as well, but figured that could be potential more liability.

Shit like THAT would probably be a good step for curbing petty crime...
Don't you have ready access to stuff that goes bang? Why muck around, why not develop a trigger that's attached to the girls wrist with fine line, once smartass is a safe distance from the girl, BANG! Just smoke and noise of course. ;)
%) %) %)
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

How about load a small backpack with rocks, line the inside if the carry strap with open razor blades, then ride around with it in a tuktuk set to the outside edge of the seat with the strap up and exposed and easy to grab by a passing snatch and grab moto pair. When they grab the strap to steal it, the weight of the rocks resists and the blade fillet the inside of his hand.

Or less aggressive, a variation on OD's idea - fill a couple of small sandwhich bags with indelible ink, tape them very loosely and only partially shut, attach to the outside back of a small backpack, then ride around with the pack in a tuktuk like above. When the freshie grabs the pack and pulls it close to himself as they speed away, the ink spills all over him, and maybe the bike and driver too.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Snakes are better, even harmless ones scare the shit out of them. Hopefully they will lose control, crash and burn.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Snakes would be funny.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote: Don't you have ready access to stuff that goes bang? Why muck around, why not develop a trigger that's attached to the girls wrist with fine line, once smartass is a safe distance from the girl, BANG! Just smoke and noise of course. ;)
because that would be a bomb, and likely to draw unwanted attention. a squib on the other hand is about the punch of a firecracker... in fact they're often homemade USING firecrackers.

what i DO have access to is a major stock (1500 or so) of electronic matches. a 1.5v current is enough to pop one and light a small bundle of flash powder between 2 pieces of duct tape. essentially a homemade firecracker set off by a AA battery and a "switch" of opening the bag. tape that to the back of a sandwich baggie like LTO suggested (the refill ink for the thumbprint pads may work nice) and it will spray the contents of said baggy quite nice. i like the putting it IN the bag so the perp is looking at it when it goes off and gets his face nice and coated in blue dye. makes him stand out quite a bit... lol.
StroppyChops wrote:Snakes would be funny.
for sure, lol.

You could even sew in a false bottom with a cheap android running cerberus so you could track it down and retrieve the bag, and possibly see the effects, after it blows.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I think the moral here is that if we want Cambodia to be safer for tourists, its up to the people who actually give a shit to do something about it. Much like the mob violence by the Khmer when a thief is caught in a village.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

OrangeDragon wrote:I think the moral here is that if we want Cambodia to be safer for tourists, its up to the people who actually give a shit to do something about it. Much like the mob violence by the Khmer when a thief is caught in a village.
Word. But it is a big uphill battle, this one. :\

I've been known to stop a few times and help out some decent enough looking tourists who in my 15 km/h cruise I noticed were having a what appeared to be some translation troubles with the local tuk tuk/motodop when obviously trying to ask where something was ( map in hand).

I am amazed that in the 13 months+ I've lived here, I haven't witnessed a crime. I have read about a ton of bag snatchings and petty crime, but this is the first time I have even dared to type it. I fear Murphy's law has to come into play soon and I am due for a mobile phone grab or a break in, lets hope not. Seriously though, I get out and around and in 13 months, I've witnessed no Jao action. I saw one white dude knock out another white dude in some Ocheateal bar in S Ville over Khmer New Year. TBH, that is the only punch I've seen since living here. Now that I really think about it, I used to see fights and scuffles almost every weekend in back in the States. This was in a very wealthy area as well, so it was just typical club and bar American macho BS, not some hood shit.

I've stated that I do feel more free ( a lot) and safer here... in some weird way. I am for sure A LOT more careful and cautious than I was back home, I will say that. So hell, maybe Cambodia is more dangerous but I just got more cautious?

As an American, the BIG difference for me when moving to Cambodia was the drastic drop in firearms among the general population as well as the police.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:I think the moral here is that if we want Cambodia to be safer for tourists, its up to the people who actually give a shit to do something about it. Much like the mob violence by the Khmer when a thief is caught in a village.
Word. But it is a big uphill battle, this one. :\

I've been known to stop a few times and help out some decent enough looking tourists who in my 15 km/h cruise I noticed were having a what appeared to be some translation troubles with the local tuk tuk/motodop when obviously trying to ask where something was ( map in hand).

I am amazed that in the 13 months+ I've lived here, I haven't witnessed a crime. I have read about a ton of bag snatchings and petty crime, but this is the first time I have even dared to type it. I fear Murphy's law has to come into play soon and I am due for a mobile phone grab or a break in, lets hope not. Seriously though, I get out and around and in 13 months, I've witnessed no Jao action. I saw one white dude knock out another white dude in some Ocheateal bar in S Ville over Khmer New Year. TBH, that is the only punch I've seen since living here. Now that I really think about it, I used to see fights and scuffles almost every weekend in back in the States. This was in a very wealthy area as well, so it was just typical club and bar American macho BS, not some hood shit.

I've stated that I do feel more free ( a lot) and safer here... in some weird way. I am for sure A LOT more careful and cautious than I was back home, I will say that. So hell, maybe Cambodia is more dangerous but I just got more cautious?

As an American, the BIG difference for me when moving to Cambodia was the drastic drop in firearms among the general population as well as the police.
That seems to contradict what another guy has said, as he thinks anyone who leaves their accommodation with a phone, camera or passport is an idiot. I've never been to Snooky, but this thread has made it sound like muggings are guaranteed.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Don't forget Pepper Spray in those plastic bags, or cesium(sp?) powder.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic