FFS - not even consensus on the alphabet?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: FFS - not even consensus on the alphabet?

Post by Jacobincambodia »

At the end of the day, do what's easiest and what works best for you! I've found that combining a private tutor, lots of time with Khmer people and self-study (homework, reading and writing) is the best for me. It seems to work! Let me know what resources you are looking for. I think I've purchased every book in Phnom Penh at some point :)
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

And which are your favorites, Jacob?
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

StroppyChops wrote:Somebody help me out here, please. I'm working from the national curriculum text (I'm told)...
Who said this was the national curriculum? I supposedly have it and it doesn't look like this. It was a ១ on the front in the upper right hand corner.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

giblet wrote:And which are your favorites, Jacob?
Here's what I currently have. My favorites are noted below.
Jacobincambodia wrote:I'm obsessed with Khmer language books. I think to myself that it will help me learn the language faster. Ha!

I'm curious as to what books are still out there that I'm not aware of.

Here's what I have so far and what I want to get my hands on.

1. IFL Books 1 & 2 for reading/writing
2. The reading book done by CAPSEA. It has two students in front of a school. (highly recommended if you are learning how to read and write) Can be purchased at IBC FAVORITE
3. "Cambodian For Beginners" by Richard Gilbert (good book!) Can be purchased at Monument Books EXCELLENT
4. "Colloquial Cambodian" by David Smyth (it has some interesting stuff)
5. Official school books distributed in schools. Also great stuff for drills and practice. I have books 1,2,3. Can be purchased at IBC GOOD
6. "Khmer Language for Foreigners" by Royal University of Phnom Penh

I also have assorted Sipar books which are actually for kids but are super great for learning basic words. Some have English words as well.

How are you learning Khmer?
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

giblet wrote:And which are your favorites, Jacob?
Here's a thread about curriculum: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... f=31&t=362
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote:At the end of the day, do what's easiest and what works best for you! I've found that combining a private tutor, lots of time with Khmer people and self-study (homework, reading and writing) is the best for me. It seems to work! Let me know what resources you are looking for. I think I've purchased every book in Phnom Penh at some point :)
Effectively this is what we're doing - mix and match. It's getting better as we fine tune what works. Formal tutoring alone isn't working, so we're adding self study and immersion. That I've only whined about the formal tutoring possibly gives a biased impression.

If nothing else this post is confirming my original concern, which goes some way to allaying it. I was starting to believe there was some point I'd missed - and I'd never had difficulties like this with a language before - but it helps to know there ARE huge discrepancies in the English resources.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Somebody help me out here, please. I'm working from the national curriculum text (I'm told)...
Who said this was the national curriculum? I supposedly have it and it doesn't look like this. It was a ១ on the front in the upper right hand corner.
Admittedly our tutor, but also commented on later by other Khmer who see me carrying them about our using them for homework while we're out and about. I can't say with confidence that this is correct. The fact that the book has the consonant chart in the wrong order doesn't inspire confidence.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Could you post a photo of the CAPSEA text please, Jacob?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Your Khmer book with the odd alphabetical order doesn't look official. It looks commercial. Most probably created by an enterprising, entrepreneurial Khmerican.

May I suggest that you buy the real official "ភាសាខ្មែរ".
You can buy them outside most schools and inside most markets.

In the real books, they don't include the 'joeung' consonants on the alphabet chart until later in the book at page 44.

:good:
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

StroppyChops wrote:Could you post a photo of the CAPSEA text please, Jacob?
Here you go!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic